cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RATE-LIMIT by IP Address

dpinard
Level 1
Level 1

We have many users streaming video from the Internet which is consuming high bandwidth and making legitimate workers suffer.

I'm looking to implement rate-limit on a Internet facing router to guarantee any IP address will not consume more than 512000kbps (plus bursting) and I'm unclear on the full functionality of the command.

For example, if I were to use the following ...

rate-limit input rate-limit access-group 101 512000 64000 128000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
access-list 101 permit ip 172.16.x.x any

Would this limit the overall users on the 172.16.x.x network to 512000kbps (plus bursting) OR would it limit each IP in the range to 512000kps?  Essentially providing a maximum that any user can utilize.

Is this the best solution or is there something better that I should be investigating?

THANKS,

2 Replies 2

Hi ,

i would not use this method i would definitely shape your traffic defining class that match your ACL 101.

then writing the policy-map and applying it in outbound direction on the ISP-facing router. in your case, the users in the subnet defined in the ACL 101 can't use more than 512kbps with relative burst and so on.

Hope this helps

Alessio

Alessio,

Thanks for the lightning fast reponse.  = : )

In your response, you mention that 'the users in the subnet defined in the ACL 101 can't use more than 512kbps with relative burst and so on.'

Does that mean the 512000kbps will apply to users individually or as a whole (entire subnet)?

I need to restrict bandwidth per IP address / workstation (it doesn't matter how many sessions they are running on a PC).

Do you have a WEB LINK that you can refer me to?

Thanks,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card