cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rate limiting using QoS policing and shaping

dking88
Level 1
Level 1

I have a requirement to rate-limit traffic to 10MB over a metro Ethernet connection.  All traffic from the remote site to corporate should be limited to 10MB and the traffic from corporate to the remote network should be limited to 10MB as well.

I have the configuration as follows and my question is whether I need to shape the traffic outbound from the switch since policing is not an option.  It's probably a better idea to police closer to Corp but we would rather keep the config off of that equipment.  Does anyone have any comments on whether this is viable solution or suggestions for improving/simplifying?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Your commands syntax is the generic IOS, be aware it varies depending on the platform.

You are using a ME-3400 - I don't have any available so please test before deploying.

But in general, it should work if the commands are accepted.

Regards,

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Shaping on egress will be the ideal design. You usually use police for inbound traffic and shape on outbound.

Also keep mind not the shape to the bandwidth limit as the algorithm tries to average the throughput.

On bursty situations, you may see flows exceeding the 10Mbps threshold thus I recommend using a value lower than 10Mbps, say 9.5Mbps?

The circuit is actually a 30MB circuit limited to 10MB (don't ask why...) so we're ok there.  Other than that does the config look like it will work?

Thanks.

Your commands syntax is the generic IOS, be aware it varies depending on the platform.

You are using a ME-3400 - I don't have any available so please test before deploying.

But in general, it should work if the commands are accepted.

Regards,

All of these commands were accepted on the ME-3400.  Thanks for your input!

Glad to be of help. Kindly rate my posting and indicate the problem was solved.

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card