Views
Helpful
Replies

RDP

Mvuvi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I had opened port 3389 for RDP and it was working well up until 2 weeks ago.Now I can no longer RDP to my office server. What could be the issue?

Secondly, do Cisco routers by default block traffic through port 2096?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Actually counter-checked windows firewall on the client end and under Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Defender Firewall\Allowed apps, I made sure to check the boxes for all remote apps and features (both private and public) and it works 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Post your "show run nat", "show ip nat statistics" and "show run interface xyz", where xyz is the Internet facing interface. As for ports 2096, there is no blocking, however if you want to access that service from the Internet and it doesn't have a public IP address, you'll need to configure static NAT/PAT for that.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

In addition to the good suggestions from @Cristian Matei there is another question to ask: if RDP has been working ok for a while and it stopped 2 weeks ago, then were there any changes in the environment about 2 weeks ago (any config changes, any OS upgrades, any reboots, any changes in addressing, etc)

HTH

Rick

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As already noted by Christian, by default, Cisco routers block no ports.

As already noted by Richard, look for something that may have been changed about two weeks ago. Don't overlook your client if it's a Window device, especially if running Windows version 10 (as when Microsoft updates Windows, it can cause unexpected changes).

One other thing to check, confirm your ISPs, on both ends (client side and server side) are not blocking RDP.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been trying to check whether there's an update from the server side (Windows server 2016), that may have affected RDP and so far...nothing.

I made sure that RDP is enabled on both ISP ends. And I doubt that the Cisco router would suddenly block a port that had been open for a while. And with the current pandemic, I'm not able to physically get the config directly from the Cisco router to confirm if anything changed.

Actually counter-checked windows firewall on the client end and under Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Defender Firewall\Allowed apps, I made sure to check the boxes for all remote apps and features (both private and public) and it works 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card