cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommendations for Routing Throughout of 1Gbps Both Ways (2Gbps) IMIX in 1U Form Factor

Ian Stephens
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

We have recently upgraded our connection from 100Mbps to 1Gbps.

We're currently running a 2901 with a very basic config (simple routing no NAT).

We find that the most we can push through the 2901 is ~400Mbps.

We, of course, need to upgrade the router to enable ~2Gbps throughput (1Gbps both ways) with average "Internet" size packets (IMIX).

We also need the router to fit in a 1U form factor as we are limited on rack space and we will be swapping them in/out live.

We've found the 7201 but have trouble finding throughput information.  Does anyone know if the 7201 can handle this amount of traffic?

If not, does anyone have any recommendations for a 1U Cisco router with this level of performance?

Thank you for your suggestions in advance.

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/7201-router/product_data_sheet0900aecd80630b58.html

"Provides up to twice the performance compared to the Cisco 7301 - up to 2 million packets per second (2Mpps) in Cisco Express Forwarding "

Basically the 7201 using a NPE-G2 engine. BTW, min size Ethernet needs 1.488 Mpps per gig (i.e. you need about 3 Mpps for duplex gig).

I believe there are some 1U ASR 1Ks that will handle gig (easily).

For IMIX it might be able to support gig, duplex.

Thanks Joseph.

We went for the ASR1001 in the end and placed an order for it this morning.

There are a few questions we have re. it which you can find in the reply to Giuseppe below.  If you have anything to share re. those questions it's greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ian,

I would go for an ASR 1001 or other newer variants of ASR 1001.

I am afraid the C7201 may be not supported anymore or near End of Support.

see ASR 1000 datasheet

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-1000-series-aggregation-services-routers/datasheet-c78-731632.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you for your reply.

We have gone ahead and placed our order for the ASR1001.

I noticed that from the product images it has four GBIC ports at the front.  I think we will have to purchase RJ45 modules for them?

Finally, do you know if it runs the familiar IOS operating system out of the box (same as the 2901)?  Or is it a newer kind with different commands/configuration parameters?  I am just thinking of ease of configuring it.

Thank you for your help; greatly appreciated.

Hi

8t runs IOS-XE its very similar to IOS that the 2900s run on , most syntax should take ok , i migrated to ASRs from 7200s running IOS

they support GLC-TE if your using copper connections instead of Fibre 

sh ver | i 3
Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 03.16.07b.S - Extended Support Release
Cisco IOS Software, ASR1000 Software (X86_64_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.5(3)S7b, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
System returned to ROM by reload at 08:41:13 UTC Sat Jul 28 2018
System restarted at 08:43:22 UTC Sat Jul 28 2018
System image file is "bootflash:asr1001x-universalk9.03.16.07b.S.155-3.S7b-ext.SPA.bi"

Hello Ian,

see the Mark's post that provides all the info you have required.

ASR 1001 runs IOS XE, the differences are more in the implementation ( IOS XE is executed over a linux operating system).

The command syntax of CLI is very similar to IOS.

As noted by Mark you will need a GLC-TE  ( note in the past there were some issues with some firmware versions of GLC-T on ASR 1000) to support RJ45 LAN connections.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card