Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended Router to connect 2 other WiFi Routers creating 1 Subnet w/ NAT

fbeye
Level 4
Level 4

Good Evening

Not sure if this is really doable. Because of security reasons I have 2 WiFi Routers that I connect machines to separately based off of their needs and also have IP Routing between their subnets so each subnet 10.0.1.x can see and access 10.0.2.x and so on but I was wondering if there was a way to connect both of those WiFi devices into one to create a completely new AND  shared subnet and then have them connect to the correct WiFi via NAT.

My available device at hand is an 891F but am open to suggestions.

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello fbeye,

it is possible to configure two different WLANs using two different Vlans and IP subnets on a single device if that device supports multiple WLAN definition.

You have a Cisco 891F

from the datasheet we see:

Wireless VLANs

14 (encrypted and nonencrypted VLANs)

see the document at

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/800-series-routers/data_sheet_c78-519930.html

So yes you should be able to do this in a single C891F router.

Using a single IP subnet for two WLANs is not recommended.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Maybe my diagram will show better what I mean. I don't want to be beholden to this specific 891f if it does not meet my needs. If what your saying still pertains then I do apologize I am probably misunderstanding.

My goal is to not have to switch between Wifi Routers and separate my internal networks but have One internal network and then when those devices touch the internet they will go through its specificUntitled1.jpg router through NAT

Hello Fbeye,

OK you want to keep current WIFI routers and to connect them to the C891F and have the C891 perform NAT for their respective private IP subnets.

I do think C891F can support this NAT configuration.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello,

what brand/model are the other WiFi routers ? Do they support bridge mode ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card