Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistributing routes between CE's on same PE

obrien.steve
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Try to determine if it is possible to have a setup where we have multiple CE routers connecting to the same PE router exchange routes if they are running different routing protocols but in the same VRF

To simplify the implemention to some thing easier to put in the forum, I have removed all the other PE/P routers from the below design where we simply have two CE routers connecting to the same PE/P router and in the same VRF.

CE1--------PE/P--------CE2

Lets say CE1 is running OSPF and CE2 is running EIGRP. When we have this in place no routes are advertised between the two CE's. If they are running the same protocol then everything is fine.

Likewise everything is fine if we expand it out further like below where CE3 recieves all routes advertised from both CE1 and CE2 into MPLS and CE1 and CE2 receives routes advertised from CE3

CE1------PE/P1--------CE2

|                            

|

PE/P2--------CE3

The configuration is below, but I have removed the backup IGP configuration along with all the mpbgp commands

router eigrp 1
no auto-summary
passive-interface default
!
address-family ipv4 vrf xxxx
  autonomous-system 1
  network 10.0.0.0
  no auto-summary
  no passive-interface GigabitEthernet2/2
  redistribute bgp 9435 metric 100000 10 255 1 1500
exit-address-family
!
router ospf 7000 vrf xxxx
log-adjacency-changes
auto-cost reference-bandwidth 100000
area 7011 authentication message-digest
area 7011 stub no-summary
timers throttle spf 10 100 5000
timers throttle lsa all 10 100 5000
redistribute static
redistribute bgp 9435 subnets
no passive-interface GigabitEthernet2/3
network 10.248.0.60 0.0.0.3 area 7011
!
router bgp 9435
!
address-family ipv4 vrf xxxx
  redistribute static route-map VRF-Static-Redistribution
  redistribute eigrp 1
  redistribute ospf 7000 vrf xxxx
  no synchronization
exit-address-family

Hope this makes sense of what I'm trying to do

Ta

Steve

2 Replies 2

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

Maybe I don't get the full picture, but why don't you redistribute two-ways between OSPF and EIGRP on the PE router?

Automatic redistribution between different protocols doesn't take place. This is true no matter if you only use global routing tables of VRF.

Let me know if this helps!

Calin

Hi Calin,

We still need to redistribute EIGRP and OSPF into MPBGP to be advertised over the MPLS network. Once I add the redistribution statements between EIGRP and MPBGP and between OSPF and MPBGP I can now longer add mutual redistribution statements to allow EIGRP and OSPF to redistribute their locally recieved routes as the switch doesn't allow it (nor does a router I tested it on).

Regards

Steve

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card