cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy

CSCO10776139
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 routers separated 500Km, I need that when one router fails (active router) the other start to work(standby router), I have read about HSRP but I think It is for router redundancy in LANs or It is not? What could be a solution?, where I can obtain an example?

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Could you give more detail about your network. What kind of connectivity do you have between the sites. Also are the lan sides of these two routers connecting to two separate networks ?

Is the second site a DR hot site ?? If you could use devices such as F5-3DNS to load balance incoming requests via wan to the primary or backup site as required (Global DNS load balancing). Note that this will work for http, https type requests.

With your current question, it is not clear, what exactly you are trying to achieve..

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

The network is thus: There are 40 clients (remote clients, separated 200Km), every client is

connected to a router(2600), every router through a frame relay connection goes to a Frame Relay

cloud.There are 2 servers very far away from the clients and one of the other(the 2 servers

are separated 500Km), each server is connected to its own router(2600) and goes to the frame relay

cloud. I use subinterfaces in the site clients and of course in the servers sites.All the time

the main site(hot) and the secondary site(standby) are synchronized, they must have the same

information, however the clients only must to be connected to the main site. If the router of

main server goes down, the secondary router server must be the main router server in a

transparent way, and the clients now will be connected to the secondary server. When the main

router site works fine again, this one must be the main server. The addres are going to be

private and in this moment I have not defined then.

In other words, it is a hub and spoke topology using frame relay, it has 40 spokes and the hub

must have a redundancy router. The HSRP examples that I have seen work only in LANs and the

routers of the example are separated 500Km, that is the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

You can also use HSRP for WAN redundancy by which I mean for suppose you have 2 routers where you have configured 2 LAN interfaces with HSRP and now one is working as active and second router is working as standby and you can configure tracking command which will keep tracking the serial interface and if one serial interface goes down it will reduce the prioroty of HSRP on lan on active router and will send a hello packet to standby router and then the standby router will become active.

HTH

Ankur

The network is thus: There are 40 clients (remote clients, separated 200Km), every client is

connected to a router(2600), every router through a frame relay connection goes to a Frame Relay

cloud.There are 2 servers very far away from the clients and one of the other(the 2 servers

are separated 500Km), each server is connected to its own router(2600) and goes to the frame relay

cloud. I use subinterfaces in the site clients and of course in the servers sites.All the time

the main site(hot) and the secondary site(standby) are synchronized, they must have the same

information, however the clients only must to be connected to the main site. If the router of

main server goes down, the secondary router server must be the main router server in a

transparent way, and the clients now will be connected to the secondary server. When the main

router site works fine again, this one must be the main server. The addres are going to be

private and in this moment I have not defined then.

In other words, it is a hub and spoke topology using frame relay, it has 40 spokes and the hub

must have a redundancy router. Every client(with its

router) are in a diferent cities like the servers.They are connected by the frame relay cloud.

The HSRP examples that I have seen work only in LANs and the

routers of the example are separated 500Km, that is the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card