cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant path for data flow

sukhjits8511
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all cisco gurus, pls suggest something on the scenerio am trying to work on.

Its complete static routing no routing protocol running....

Router Y is connected to RouterA via ethernet0,router A is connected to router A1 with a 2Mbps serial link and

Router Y is connected to RouterB via ethernet1, router B is connected to routerB1 with a 2Mbps serial link.

If the link from routerA to routerA1 goes down, i want that the Router Y should divert the traffic automatically to the other link ( via routerB and routerB1)

Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

rakshitj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I think GLBP would work in your case.

refer GLBP samples from cisco.

vbhadula
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Connect Router A and B and use floating static routes for the redundency.

HTH

Amit Singh

Hi....

Thanks for the reply amit.

If i connect router A with B via serial back to back cable then...and put floating route..then if the link terminated on router A goes down the traffic will shift to router B and take the alternate floating route but in the other case..

If the link terminated on routerB fails then how will the router A know that the link terminated on router B has failed as the link AB between both the routers if up.......

Is there a particular reason you can't just run a routing protocol among all five routers? That would make everything you're looking for "just work." With such a small network, you could use EIGRP, RIP, OSPF or whatever.

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card