cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

remote desktop and BGP

Warren
Level 1
Level 1

sorry I'm new to BGP but was wondering if anyone ran into this problem. I have an external user who remote desktops in to his server running XP and a 2800 Cisco router running BGP. What is happening is that in the mornings I have to reboot his machine and the BGP router twice inorder for the user to get in. Once I do that he is fine the whole day till the next morning again where we repeat this process again. Any ideas??

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

War

This sounds like a strange symptom - especially having to reboot twice (reboot once would be bad enough, but what does a second reboot do that the first one did not do?)

Could you describe the symptoms of what is not working a bit better? Are there any error messages anywhere?

Have you tried a clear ip bgp instead of rebooting? If it is an issue with BGP I would think that clear would fix it and be less drastic than reboot.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Here is a short version, for 2 days now the remote user calls in and tells me that he cannot log into his server. So I go check the server and see that it is pwr off. So I hit the pwr button and server is live so I tell him to try to log into it. He tells me he cannot log into it so I do a reload on the BGP router and he is able to connect for about 2-3 min. Then he gets kicked off and cannot reach his server again. So I reboot his machine again and reload the router a second time once they both connect he is fine. He is currently double checking to see who or what is pwring off his server. Since I'm not to familiar with BGP only thing I really check is the logs but that turns up nothing. As far as any error logs on his side he is still checking

War

If something is powering off the server, then I would think the problem is more likely something related to the server than it is to the router or to BGP. I do not find anything in the symptoms that you describe that sounds to me like a BGP problem.

If this situation continues I would make a couple of suggestions. First I would suggest that when the user calls to shut and no shut the interface(s) on the router and see if that makes things better. If shut and no shut do not improve the situation then I would suggest clear ip bgp *. If neither of these help then I would turn off and turn on the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

K will try that...thanks Rick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card