Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote office MPLS CE Design

de1denta
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I'm looking for some quick advise with the following configuration. We have a remote office that will have 2 CE routers each with a eBGP connection to seperate MPLS providers. The CE routers will connected directly to an access switch and will be the default gateways for the LAN networks. HSRP will be configured between the CE with R1 as active and R2 standby.

This office will not be used as transit between endpoints connected to the different MPLS providers, that will be handled by the
hub site, but the HSRP active router R1 will need to take the most direct path to ISP2 only connected endpoints so traffic will need to route from R1 to R2 and then to the ISP2.

I'm looking to redistribute eBGP into EIGRP which will be configured between the CEs and using the BGP network
command to advertise the remote office LAN networks into BGP.

Will this be enough to make sure that that R1 has routes to all  networks? I have seen a few Cisco design docs that use both EIGRP and iBGP between the CEs but this office will not be used for transit so I'm not sure if iBGP is really required?

Any advise will be appeciated,

1 Reply 1

Hello.

If you are using HSRP for LAN and have only 2 routers on the site, then there is no need for EIGRP.

Just configure iBGP and filter outbound updates using as-path filter ^$

iBGP could require you to use next-hop-self.

The point to use iBGP is to leverage on single routing protocol and benefit from all the embedded loop prevention features.

The best way to configure Hub is to announce only summary into both MPLS clouds... this  will force the spokes (for sure) to use longer match (if any) learnt from MPLS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card