Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remove 4 Byte BGP Private ASN

How do you remove 4 byte Private BGP ASN as you advertise the prefixes to your ISP?

I already tried neighbor x.x.x.x remove-private-as command.  This command only removes 2 byte private BGP ASN.

Within my environment, we use both 2 byte private ASN and 4 byte private ASN.  On our border router to the ISP, we use the above command and it looks like it only works for 2 byte private ASN and not the 4 byte ones.

Thanks for the help. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello network2004@gmail.com ,

what is your border router ?

post a show version

as a workaround you could try to use an aggregate-address with summary-only option as an attempt to remove the 4 bytes private AS numbers from the AS path attribute. This might be possible or not in your scenario.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

network2004@gmail.com : Are you using asnotation for 4 Byte BGP number ?

I briefly read about it and I am not sure what asnotation does.  Could you explain how to use asnotation?  thanks.

So neighbor x.x.x.x remove-private-as command removes 4 byte private BGP ASN ?

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello network2004@gmail.com ,

what is your border router ?

post a show version

as a workaround you could try to use an aggregate-address with summary-only option as an attempt to remove the 4 bytes private AS numbers from the AS path attribute. This might be possible or not in your scenario.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe.   Aggregate with summary only is also what I did in the lab too.  I see that Juniper has the option to remove 4 byte private ASN and I just want to double check if Cisco has the same option too.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card