cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset duration for 6500/7600 line cards

Iulian Vaideanu
Level 4
Level 4

Could someone please approximate how long it would take for WS-X6704-10GE and WS-X6724-SFP to come back online after a "hw-module module x reset" command?  If relevant, the router is a 7606-S with redundant RSP720s, the cards have no DFCs and the reason for resetting the cards is fw update from 12.2(14r)S5 to 12.2(18r)S1.

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Should be rather quick (much quicker than a system reload) but it depends on the 'diagnostic bootup level'

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_d1.html#wp1024685

With 4 ports the process is quicker than 24ports /and/ also depends how many ports you have enabled/active.

Well, there are currently 6 ports enabled on the WS-X6724-SFP card (5 active, 1 down), and diagnostic bootup level is set to minimal.  How long would it take for the card to reset in these conditions?  Do I gain much if I temporarily set "no diagnostic bootup level" just for this operation?

I don't have any benchmark numbers but you should gain some.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting  offers the information contained within this posting without  consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no  implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information  provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed  as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's  information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If firmware is being revised, first reload of the card might take longer than subsequent card reloads.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card