cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

route backup

aissa_alshikh
Level 1
Level 1

i have a router configure with RIP and Static route to reach the same Destination , as the static has a low AD , it is preferred, and if the remote side of the static destination is down the RIP it will not take place as the static route still exist in the routing table, how to track the static route and if it is not reachable to be removed and RIP will take place in the routing table.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes. Assuming that RIP is learning the same prefix as the static route then if tracking removes the static route then the RIP route will be placed into the active routing table without any extra commands in RIP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Generally to achieve this you would configure IP SLA to track reachability for the static route.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank You Richard, but the question is if i configured the IP SLA and track on the Static route,

link ip route 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0 1.1.1.1 track 10

the static will be removed and i will reach the destination by the RIP without and extra command on RIP config.

Yes. Assuming that RIP is learning the same prefix as the static route then if tracking removes the static route then the RIP route will be placed into the active routing table without any extra commands in RIP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I am glad that my answer was helpful. Thank you for using the rating system to mark this question as answered. That makes it easier for other readers in the forum to identify discussions that have helpful information.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card