cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Route manipulation with L3 Switch and Meraki

germaine.hudson
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to send default traffic from a VLAN out one egress interface and traffic from the same VLAN with an RFC1918 destination out another interface. The problem is, the WAN device is a Meraki and I dont think that I can use prefix lists and route-maps. My question is, can I use the connected layer 3 switch and create a policy on there to send the traffic out the specific interfaces on the Meraki?

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The question is this

can I use the connected layer 3 switch and create a policy on there to send the traffic out the specific interfaces on the Meraki?

It is difficult to think of anything on the L3 switch that will cause the Meraki to send any particular traffic out one interface and other traffic out a different interface. 

If we knew more about this environment we might be able make suggestions but at the moment we do not know enough to be helpful.

- you mention default traffic for a vlan going through 1 interface and traffic with a 1918 address through a different interface. Is this separation to be done on the L3 switch or done on the Meraki?

- what type of L3 switch is this and what version of code is it running?

HTH

Rick

@Richard Burts, yes that is the question. I'm not that experienced here, so bare with me. I know there's policy routing but I'm not sure if it can be applied here. The network is in China. There are two links, one MPLS and the other is connected to a gateway to a Chinese provider. Whether the separation occurs on the Meraki or the switch doesn't matter.

That VLAN is for voice traffic. I just need the default traffic of that VLAN to offload off at the China egress point instead of coming back to the data center.

The switch is a c3560, C3560-IPBASEK9-M version 12.2(53)SE2

Thanks for the additional information. You reply that " Whether the separation occurs on the Meraki or the switch doesn't matter." And I do not understand that statement. If the 2 links are on the Meraki then it is the Meraki that needs to separate the traffic. If you have 2 routed links from the switch to the Meraki then you could use PBR to send one stream on the first link and the second stream on the second link. But I am not clear how doing this on the switch would necessarily help the Meraki to send the traffic out differently. But we do not know if you have 2 links from switch to Meraki and we do not know if they would be routed links (L3 processing) or if they are access/trunk switch links (L2 processing). I think that you should concentrate on the suggestions from @paul driver 

HTH

Rick

Hello

If you have dual wan links in the MX then you can specify a flow preference within the security & sdwan tab of the meraki dashboard to accomplish load balance of a specific host or subnets.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

@paul driver Right, I see that but will it accept 10.0.0.0/8 ge 8 and work? I dont want to type in dozens of subnets for all the private addresses.

Hello

You can only submit correct the ip addressing or CIDR'd subnets, it doesnt support ip prefix * or equal appendix

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card