Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

route-map next hop assitance

Hi networkers, 

First, my apologies if this topic has been re-asked, but unfortunately, I have been searching from Cisco documentation as well as other resources and even I did the lab to see the behavior on this, 

we have in production some ISR routers with BGP, but Im trying to understand why it is working as it is right now, 

Im not a really expert in BGP path manipulation, but just wanted to see if I can get some doubts cleared as to why it is not being used using one command vs the other, 

unfortunately, using the virtual lab, it is not the same thing as using real gear right, so attached Im posting a picture on how it looks like 

Background: 

R2 is acting as Route Reflector

I dont use the route-map FROM-R4 in R3 towards R2 under BGP config, in R3 Im not receiving any networks being advertised by R1

I even used the next-hop-self command, but still same behavior, 

Not sure if its a IOS issue or a limitation with the Router reflector, BGP, etc cause I have seen the same config in other environments and we have the recommended version as per Cisco on those routers, so not really sure you have experienced something similar with this behavior as such or similar 

In my virtual lab environment, as soon as I put the route-map, I get the following message:

% Warning: Next hop address is our address

However, in the real network gear, we don't get that message, possibly IOS, model, etc

Questions: 

1- Why we have a route-map using the same IP of the router as a next-hop?

2- Should it be the same accomplishment by using the next-hop-self command? 

3- Any other consideration as is it acting like that ?

4- Is it a normal and expected behavior due to the manipulation of the next-hop BGP attribute ? 

5- Can someone please explain me? 

2 Replies 2

Hello,

the message is essentially just a warning. Can you post the full configs of all 4 routers so we can lab test this with different IOS versions ? Which platforms/IOS version are you using in your real environment (where this message does not show up) ?

Hello

@Kn1ghtR1d3rOfD00m wrote:

Questions: 

1- Why we have a route-map using the same IP of the router as a next-hop? <its not required to policy route in this instance

2- Should it be the same accomplishment by using the next-hop-self command? next hop applicable only on R3 facing R2

3- Any other consideration as is it acting like that ?

4- Is it a normal and expected behavior due to the manipulation of the next-hop BGP attribute ? when you are using RR on R2 as shown should allow advertisment of R1 networks to R3

Rrts- 
sh ip bgp
sh ip bgp summary
sh ip protocols
sh ip route

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card