Views
Helpful
Replies

Route-Map or Policy

anthonykahwati
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I am in a multi-vendor environment and trying to decide on the correct naming convention for what we, in Cisco world, know as route-maps.

When you consider other vendors, some use the term and some don't. Some might use the term policy instead.

My question is, is "route-map" an industry term or a vendor term?

I'd like to look at a common naming convention, for example, should I name route maps as:

rm_route-map-identifier

or

pl_route-map-identifier

Where rm denotes route-map or pl denotes a policy.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @anthonykahwati ,

route-map is a Cisco term for a configuration object that can be used in different ways:

a) it can be used for route filtering in redistribution or towards a BGP neighbor

b) it can be used for Policy Based Routing to route user traffic flows using criteria that are different from standard destination based routing.

To be noted Cisco itself in IOS XR has the Route Policy Language for route filtering and you create route policies in IOS XR.

About the naming convention it is your choice.

You could use the prefix pl for all those route-maps used for route filtering and the prefix rm for route-maps used for PBR if any.

You could use rm prefix for route-maps as a way to help to remind what kind of object is invoked.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @anthonykahwati ,

route-map is a Cisco term for a configuration object that can be used in different ways:

a) it can be used for route filtering in redistribution or towards a BGP neighbor

b) it can be used for Policy Based Routing to route user traffic flows using criteria that are different from standard destination based routing.

To be noted Cisco itself in IOS XR has the Route Policy Language for route filtering and you create route policies in IOS XR.

About the naming convention it is your choice.

You could use the prefix pl for all those route-maps used for route filtering and the prefix rm for route-maps used for PBR if any.

You could use rm prefix for route-maps as a way to help to remind what kind of object is invoked.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe. Much appreciated

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco