Views
Helpful
Replies

Route Redistribution between RIP and OSPF

smartd1011
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm building my home lab and having difficutly to get this part of router redistribution work. 

I can't ping from PC, Server and SW1 to R2's int f0/0, f0/1 and SW2's G0/1.

I can't ping from R1 to R2's f0/1, SW2

Vice versa,  I can't ping from SW2 to R2's f0/0, R1's f0/0 & f0/1, SW1, PC and Server.

Also, I can't ping from R2 to R1's f0/1, SW1, Server and PC.

I think the reason cause these ping's failure is I didn't config the Route Redistribution between RIP and OSPF(on R2)correctly.  I strugled for hours to change comand around but still can't figure it out. I attached my Topology and config. file to you and please help!

smartd1011

10 Replies 10

Hi

I've no idea what you are trying to accomplish with this. You are running OSPF, RIP and EIGRP at the same time and there is so many mis-configs here, I don't know where to begin.

One mistake that I can see that you have don is that you have configured:

! R1
router ospf 1
network 20.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 area 0

This will not enable OSPF on the desired interfaces, because the interface you are referring to needs to have the IP address of 20.0.0.0, which it doesn't, it has 20.0.0.1. So you should have this command instead:

network 20.0.0.1 0.0.0.0 area 0 

Thank you for the suggestion.

M SEB
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

On R1, you should not be advertising 10.0.0.0/24 via OSPF => redistribution will handle that

On R1, you should not be advertising 20.0.0.0/24 via EIGRP => redistribution will handle that

On R2, you should not be advertising 30.0.0.0/24 via OSPF => redistribution will handle that

On R2, you should not be advertising 20.0.0.0/24 via RIP=> redistribution will handle that

On R2, under your rip process, you should put a  metric to RIP otherwise it would redistributed with infinite metric (i.e. 16). Btw, you did put a seed metric on your EIGRP redistribution which is fine.

Also if you're talking RIP with switch2 and would like to send rip updates to him, you remove your passive interface statement

your rip statement should be somethin like that : 

router rip
version 2
redistribute ospf 1 metric 5
passive-interface FastEthernet0/0
network 30.0.0.0
no auto-summary

HTH

Hi M SEB,

I want to say thank you very much for taking time to help me. I followed your instruction and made changes on my configuration.  But, It still not working. I attached revised config. and hope you can point out where I didn't do it right again. 

By the way, on R2, you put metric for OSPF is 5. It's just an example for I should put this number accroding to my topology? It's different than my seed metric which I did for R1.   Also, I can't see the metric for RIP by using command" sh ip protocol" . What metric number I should put ?

I do really appreciated if you can help me again!

hi,

As mentionned by Hendrik above, your ospf statements are wrong. One of the mandatory things that have to be the same for 2 OSPF nodes willing to become neighbors is that they must reside on the same subnet. 

With your 20.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 are 0 statement, the information included in OSPF hellos is that they see the hello packet as not coming from their subnet...

Please use network 20.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 area 0 instead on R1 and R2, this should solve your problem.

Or if you wanna use more specific network statements then use 20.0.0.1 0.0.0.0 are 0 and 20.0.0.2 0.0.0.0 are 0 respectively on R1 and R2. 

HTH 

On R1 and R2, I changed OSPF's subnet mask(wild card)to 0.0.0.255. Now, I  can ping from R1 to R2's f0/1 port and from R2 to R1's f0/1 port. Thank you so much!. But, I still can't ping from R1 to the SW2's G0/1 port or from SW2 to R2's f0/0 port. I checked the SW2's fonfig and didn't see anything wrong. Even I don't have any end device to the it, I should still enable routing on it, right?

one last problem left, Pls help!

Hi。

I think you need the default route .

Thank you for the suggestion.

Hi M SEB,

I just tried ping again and everything works now. The SW2 decided talk to R2 without any config changes.  I want to say thank you so much for you helped me work all the way until my labs works. I will remember you!

I hope you have a very good 2015!

smartd1011

Hi smartd,

I'm glad everything works fine for you ! 

Have a happy 2015 too :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco