cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

route statements blowing my mind

KyleWhitaker
Level 1
Level 1

I have inherited a network that I believe is setup incorrectly.

Based on my provided graphic could someone tell me what route statements I would enter on each switch to get end-to-end connectivity.

all ip addresses are in VLAN 1 on each switch

all inter-switch links are trunk links

16 Replies 16

Thanks for the explanation about why routing on the switches would be better than on sonicwall. I advocate that it is always better when the layer 2 design matches the layer 3 design and I suggest that in the longer term you make changes so that would be the case. But in the shorter term there are things you can do to make it run better. And changing the mask is the most simple of the things that you could do. Note that while changing the mask to /16 would certainly work that changing the mask to /22 (255.255.248.0) would put both sites into the same subnet. That would mean that traffic between sites would be local (devices would arp for the destination, receive an arp response, and send the Ethernet frame with the correct destination address with no need for any layer 3 routing on switches or sonicwall). 

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

This has been an interesting discussion. It took us a while to get a correct understanding of the environment and of the issue. I am glad that our suggestions have been helpful. As I said I believe there are some things you can do in the short term to make it better and some things that you should do in the long term to address the mismatch between the layer 2 design and the layer 3 design. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will make it easier for other participants in the community to identify discussions that have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card