Views
Helpful
Replies

route to ip thats not directly connected

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

hi all

jsut a quick question, my be a little basic.

Is it possible to route to a device thats not directly connected, ie over an MPLS cloud. I have a route to say 1.1.1.1 in my network that I can reach.

Is it ok if I put a route on my router directing traffic to the 1.1.1.1 address a few hops away ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

so you have a route to 1.1.1.1 and you want to give the static route for x.x.x.x to point to 1.1.1.1 ?

If so yes it is doable as the router will do a recursive lookup.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi Carl,

i am not 100% sure what you are asking for but let's say you have a router R1 with a subnet 1.1.1.0/24 and you need to reach the router R6 on your infrastructure with a network of 6.6.6.0/24 then, you can write on R1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 6.6.6.1 ! assuming 6.6.6.6 is a valid ip

and on R6

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.1  ! assuming 1.1.1.1 is a valid ip

Of course you need at least one of these two conditions to be true:

a) a only-layer 2 technology is connecting the two routers

b) each router knows how to reach the next hop in your infrastructure

with a dynamic routing protocol you fix this issue because you share the same routing table (or routing instance) where you can find information about the network to reach.

For MPLS it gets a little bit more complicated. I would divide your question in the analysis of:

1) CE to PE routing

2) PE to PE routing type

3) PE to CE routing

Let's say anywa that your provider is running AToM over its network, that you could communicate with a static route in quite a number of cases. Of course AToM wouldn't be the only way.

Hope this helps

Alessio

hi

what I mean is, can I push a route to an address that is not directly connected, so If I have a router 3 hops away say with address 1.1.1.1 , 1.1.1.1 is reachable on my routing table, could I say push 192.168.1.0/24 to 1.1.1.1 3 hops away, would this work ?

cheers

Carl

Hi,

so you have a route to 1.1.1.1 and you want to give the static route for x.x.x.x to point to 1.1.1.1 ?

If so yes it is doable as the router will do a recursive lookup.

Regards.

Alain

Oleg Gnedykh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Karl!

You can write a static or dynamic routing on your router.

The main thing that all routers in your net know about your source and dest network.

Hope I help you.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

And why you would need to do that ? Just use next hop as normally done.

Recursive routing is never needed!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: