Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routed Port not working properly

I have 2 3850 switches.  One is a DMZ switch, the other on the internal network.  I have created a routed port on the DMZ switch with an ip in the vlan of the internal network switch port.  This was working great with a 24 port switch.  I was able to manage the switch, solarwinds, etc.   I then replaced the 24 port DMZ switch with a 48 port switch, setup is the same (basically copied the config).  Now I can only access the DMZ switch from the adjacent switch.  Solarwinds cannot hit the switch.  I cannot ssh unless it's from the adjacent switch.  I've done this hundreds of times.  What am I missing????

12 Replies 12

Hello,

--> (basically copied the config)

That might be the problem. Try and zeroize and regenerate the RSA key...

crypto key zeroize

crypto key generate

Hmmm.  Would that stop me from being able to ping?

Regenerating ssh keys did not work.  

If I am understanding correctly the issue is that you do have access from a device that is in the same subnet as the internal switch but do not have access from other subnets. That suggests an issue with default gateway on the internal switch. Depending on whether ip routing is enabled or not it could be ip default-gateway or it could be a default route. It is tempting to say show us the switch config, but perhaps the next step should be to post the output of show ip route, and perhaps of show ip protocol from the internal switch.

HTH

Rick

What's crazy is that if i plug the old switch back, i can access it with no issues.  Same config, nothing changes on the internal.  (one note, I obviously need to clear the arp).  

Hello

@MarioMescino99182 wrote:

Now I can only access the DMZ switch from the adjacent switch.  Solarwinds cannot hit the switch.  I cannot ssh unless it's from the adjacent switch. 

Disable ip routing on switch and give it a default-gateway

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Default-gateway is the FW in the DMZ.  The routed port has an IP on the internal vlan.

Hello

so you have ip routing disabled on the switch correct?

Also you state you have a routed port - Is that on the switch?- If so what’s the reason as the switch is basically a host switch if an SVI is applied then all its interfaces would be assigned to the same SVI of the fw subnet

Can you post the config of the new switch?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello @MarioMescino99182 ,

>> Default-gateway is the FW in the DMZ. The routed port has an IP on the internal vlan.

Having a routed port would mean to be able to do routing so your switch should have :

a)   ip routing

b)   ip route 0.0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <DMZ-FW-IPaddress>

c)  a routed port in an internal VLAN / IP subnet

At this point communications from hosts in the internal VLAN/IP subnet and the switch will not go via the FW and they work.

Then you say that with the old switch you could reach the internal IP address from devices in different internal subnets like the solarwinds server.

In order to have this working you would need in addition to points a) - c) listed above an additional command on the switch:

d)  ip route 10.100.0.0 255.255.0.0    <Def-GW-Internal-VLAN>

here 10.100/16 represents all the internal IP subnets

otherwise how could the return path to the internal IP address be successful ?

The switch would answer back via the <FW DMZ address> being the only way to reach not directly attached subnets.

The only difference between new and old switch are the MAC addresses used. These should not be a problem if the ARP tables are cleared as you have noted.

However, the FW should be configured to :

1) accept on DMZ interface a packet sourced from an internal VLAN (the routed port)  with a destination that is another internal IP address belonging to a different  internal IP subnet.

From a security point of view the DMZ switch should not have an internal IP address and you should enable internal management systems to reach it via the FW on the DMZ address.

However, if you want to have an internal leg on the DMZ switch you would need condiitons a)  to d) as described above.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

We have had a number of suggestions. What we need at this point is clarification from the original poster about what the switch is doing, please post the current running config.

HTH

Rick

This is a DMZ switch.  I created the routed port with an IP from VLAN 10, so I can manage the switch from my network.  The default route is the FW.  This was all working fine with a 24port switch, but I needed a 4 port 10g module which this switch does not support, hence the switch to the 48 port.  I can't post the config.  

Let's say:
Gig 1/0/1
ip address 10.0.0.155
no switchport

This port is connected to a switch024 on the inside on port 4/0/23 on VLAN 10 (10.0.0.0 /24)

I don't understand why i cannot ping 10.0.0.155 from the inside.  Shouldn't switch024 tell the inside network how to get to 10.0.0.155?  And Shouldn't 10.0.0.155 know how to hit Solarwinds (10.0.44.120) since it's directly connected to the inside?

Hello

So can you confirm you have ip routing disabled on the switch- The reason being even if you have specified a default- gateway and ip routing is still enabled then the switch won’t use the gateway so if you want to use a default-gateway then disable ip routing or give the switch a default route.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card