Views
Helpful
Replies

Router 1841

Ahmed Yassin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a cisco router 1841 with WIC 2T installed. I use only one serial for leased internet line SHDSL and one ethernet interface to connect to the LAN.

I want to install new internet DSL line which is terminated by ethernet cable by the provider and not smart serial as leased internet line SHDSL, So, my question is as following:

1. If internet DSL line can be terminated by smart serial also to plug it in the other serial.

2. If not, can i plug the ethernet cable of this DSL internet line to the other not used ethernet interface of the router.

3. Also, can i make a route map bettween the two internet lines at both cases: first line is serial and other line is serial or ethernet 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If you have a free ethernet port on the router, then surely it will work. No need for additional modules, if there are free ports.

Let us know if you have further questions, and please don't forget to mark as answered and rate the posts.

Andras

View solution in original post

Hi Ahmed,

As i said in my previous post if you have extra ethernet interface free then you can terminate the new DSL like (which is ethernet handoff from yor ISP). You no need to install any modules.

See below I have the same setup...

>sh ip int brief
Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
FastEthernet0/0            10.10.10.10     YES NVRAM  up                    up 
FastEthernet0/1            206.206.206.2     YES NVRAM  up                    up 
Serial0/0/0                86.87.89.25     YES NVRAM  up                    up
NVI0                       unassigned      NO  unset  up                    up

Please click on the correct answer if this answered your question.
Regards,
Naidu.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ahmed,

What I understand is that you have already a DSL-Internet link terminated on the serial interface.
And you have one FastEthernet interface free on which you want terminate another internet line which is ethernet hand off from your provider.

You can absolutely terminate another internet line (ethernet hand off) on to the free interface.
And regarding the route-maps which you wnat use you can but could you let us know for what purpose you want use?

Please click on the correct answere if this answered your question.
Regards,
Naidu.

i mean that SHDSL line allready come with serial interface, but, ADSL line come with ethernet interface.

If i can ask the provider to bring the ADSL line with also serial interface or no.

I want to use the route map as to make the two internet lines backup for each other, sothat, if any of them is down, all users will get out through the other up line.

Also, if route map can working properly with two different types of interfaces.

Thanks a lot for your cooperation.

Hi,

The route-map will work regardless of the outgoing interface. If they are different, such as one is a point-to-point serial and the other is a multiaccess ethernet, the route-map might contain different statements, such as a "set interface" and a "set ip next-hop" but it's allowed and will work properly.

Regarding the media type the ISP is going to install is up to them, you might ask them if they have another solution but if you're just after the route-map to work properly, different media types are accepted. You will be able to use one link as a backup for the other with a route-map.

Best regards,

Andras

thanks a lot, but, last question is can i plug this new ethernet interface for the new line in the not used built in ethernet port of the router without install extra ethernet module for the router

Your cooperation is highly appreciatted.

If you have a free ethernet port on the router, then surely it will work. No need for additional modules, if there are free ports.

Let us know if you have further questions, and please don't forget to mark as answered and rate the posts.

Andras

Hi Ahmed,

As i said in my previous post if you have extra ethernet interface free then you can terminate the new DSL like (which is ethernet handoff from yor ISP). You no need to install any modules.

See below I have the same setup...

>sh ip int brief
Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
FastEthernet0/0            10.10.10.10     YES NVRAM  up                    up 
FastEthernet0/1            206.206.206.2     YES NVRAM  up                    up 
Serial0/0/0                86.87.89.25     YES NVRAM  up                    up
NVI0                       unassigned      NO  unset  up                    up

Please click on the correct answer if this answered your question.
Regards,
Naidu.

thanks a lot for all of you and appreciated

Hi Ahmed,

Glad to see that my posts are helped you.
But please remember to rate all the helpfull posts which will encourage through this forum.

Regards,
Naidu.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card