Views
Helpful
Replies

Router booting problem

Arup Dutta
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

i have 2811 router and flash is 64MB but i want to upgrade 128MB.i am able to upgrade IOS into this but not reboot itself.

here is attached all details please find it and help me out.

PS:router is boot properly by 64 MB flash

24 Replies 24

Hi,

i am very grateful to your help.actually i want to remove my 64MB flash

which is working and replace of that i want to use 128MB flash that do not

work.

please tell how i can use 128MB flash into the same router.

Appreciate your comment.

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 3:35 PM, leolaohoo <

Hi Arup,

You're not making this easy, Arup. 

Right, then.  Take the 128mb CF and insert it into a fully functional router with the IOS fully loaded.  If you have the right CF the "sh log" will reflect that.

Now, if you do see evidences that the 128mb CF is valid by this router, run the command "format flash:".

Once the format is finished (should take a few minutes) copy the IOS from your TFTP server to the CF.  Once it's done, verify using the command "verify /md5 flash:"

Hi Arup,

If our post were able to help you, kindly rate our posts.  Thank you.

hi,

As your valuable support really i appreciate your comment.

thank you.

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 4:07 PM, leolaohoo <

Hi Arup,

That's not what I had in mind.  In the lower left-hand corner of my post there are greyed out stars.  There are two columns or groups.  Over the left column, hover your curser over it.  One star to five star.

Hey Leo, sorry to interrupt, but if Arup uses the e-mail feature to respond to the thread, he might not be able to see the stars. Anyway, I can see them clearly.

Thanks Maria. 

After much messing around I found the issue

The probability is that the CF card you are using has been used before.

'show flash: all' will tell you if the File System Type is FAT16 or not, of this new CF card you are trying to use

in my case format flash: was formatting the card BUT not as FAT16, it was using the same as it was originally done by the PC. I reformatted my card on the PC (W7) which was giving me this grief as FAT16 and bingo! I now have a 512MB CF card for my CME router

When you are running the usual IOS image, FAT32 CF card is readable, but not from the ROM image at boot time, this MUST be FAT16

Thank you alanwright1 for posting the SOLUTION.

Didier Ribbens
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I had exactly the same issue with some NEW FLASH CARDS.

The work around was to format them with ONLY the BOOT FLAG , by default it was formated using BOOT and LBA.

With GPARTED (LINUX) I just removed the LBA flag and I was up and running.

PS: I do not use unofficial FLASH CARDS in production , I just use this kind of card in my CCNA LAB.

Best Regards,

Didier

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: