cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

router code version and sla

kengarello
Level 1
Level 1

I've been attempting to configure dual isp failover.

I got it to work in a dynamips environment using 7200 series 12.4 code.

I adjusted the config file to suit the interfaces on th 1841  and reloaded the router with this config.

I received errors on the SLA statements, so I researched the statements that were failing and it looks like the router is expecting 12.3 statements

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/dial/configuration/guide/dia_rel_stc_rtg_bckup_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

I had to use:

1. enable

2. configure terminal

3. ip sla monitor [operation-number]

4. type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho {destination-ip-address | destination-hostname} [source-ipaddr {ip-address | hostname} | source-interface interface-name]

vs.

1.enable

2. configure terminal

3. ip sla [operation-number]

4. icmp-echo {destination-ip-address | destination-hostname} [source-ip {ip-address | hostname} | source-interface interface-name]

Below is show ver that is currently running...

Am I running at 12.3(8r)T9,  or 12.4(25c)?

If I am running 12.4(25c), why is it not accepting the later 12.4 commands?

Thanks,

Ken

iarouter#show ver
Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-ENTBASEK9-M), Version 12.4(25c), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 11-Feb-10 22:55 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T9, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

iarouter uptime is 3 days, 20 hours, 19 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload at 22:03:38 UTC Sat Jan 28 2012
System image file is "flash:c1841-entbasek9-mz.124-25c.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

Cisco 1841 (revision 6.0) with 115712K/15360K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FTX1041W0U3
2 FastEthernet interfaces
1 Serial interface
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
191K bytes of NVRAM.
31360K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

iarouter#

8 Replies 8

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ken

You are running c1841-entbasek9-mz.124-25c.bin

12.3(8r)T9 is your ROM or bootstrap code.

I do not have good information to help with answers about which version of the commands are supported.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

kengarello
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your response...  that's what I thought about the version.

Is there any way to find supported commands for an exact code rev?

The command lookup tool does not provide for the 12.4-25c

Ken

I do not know of a tool that you identify exactly what commands are supported in a particular version of IOS code.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

kengarello
Level 1
Level 1

Okay - I guess there is no good answer for my original question.

As a follow up...

Looking at the downloads page, is there a methodology for picking the most current rev of code?

Interesting thtat 25c is not even currently downloadable, but I would think that there would be a note somewhere about it being deprecated.

I've seen some discussions that recommend the "T" strain, but what little explanation I have found indicates that the "T" strain is more experimental. 

Should I be using v 15.x or 12.x ?

Most of the documentation seems to be geared toward 12.x

Thanks,

Ken

Ken

Yes there is much more documentation for 12.x than there is for 15.x. And that makes sense since 12.x has been around for a very long time and 15.x is fairly recent.

The reason for the T train in IOS is that it would be where new technology gets support. So for instance when they introduced 12.4 there were certain technologies (certain router models, certain cards, etc) that are supported in 12.4 mainline code. Introducing new router models, new cards, and new technologies would introduce new bugs and Cisco does not want to do that in mainline code so they use 12.4T. So the T releases are inherently less stable than the mainline releases. On the other hand you need the T train code if you are running a new router model, going to use a new card, or are going to use one of the new technologies that are being introduced.

It is difficult to give a generic answer about whether you should use 12.4 or 15. It depends a bit on what hardware you are using, and it depends on what features you will be using. But at this point I would say that in general if this is a new install then it is better to go with the newer 15 than with the 12.4.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick,

Well for the record, I figured out where I got the 25(c) code.  That is what the software advisor tool points to.

Although, if I go to the direct ios downloads link, 25(c) is not available.

I am running an 1841 with a serial interface.   The newest non-(T) 12.4 download is 12.4.25f(MD)  should I assume that it is a stable release?

Thanks,

Ken

P.S.  this is not a new install, I am trying to add a failover link utilizing ICMPEcho tracking.

Ken

Maybe it is because it has been a long day - but I am not sure what you are trying to say with this-

I figured out where I got the 25(c) code.  That is what the software advisor tool points to.

As I read back through the thread it is pretty clear that 124-25c is the code that your router is running. What does that have to do with the software advisor?

If you are running 124-25c and if releases from Cisco have gotten up to124-25f then I can understand why 124-25c is no longer available on the download page. There are now 3 iterations of 124-25 that correct errors found in 124-25c.

There is good reason to assume that124-25f is more stable (and better in some ways) than 124-25c. It might be worth upgrading to 124-25f, though if 124-25c has been running ok for you then perhaps upgrade is not necessary.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Maybe it is because it has been a long day - but I am not sure what you are trying to say with this-

I figured out where I got the 25(c) code. That is what the software advisor tool points to.

If I log into cisco, click on support, click on software advisor,  enter router, 1800 series, 1841 with one WIC, select Enterprise base MD train....

the tool links to 25(c)

If I go directly to downloads I get different results.

Ken

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card