cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router(config)#logging facility local6 - what does local6 mean?

shahul-hameed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ALL,

Router(config)#logging facility local6 - what does local6 mean?.When i referred to the cisco site i found that Reserved for locally defined messages.But i don't it means Reserved for locally defined messages .Can anybody give me the exact explanation with the ref. to the link in the cisco site.

Earlier responses will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Shahul

10 Replies 10

jolmo
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Shahul

According to Cisco documentation,

If you are working with multiple network access servers , you can assign a different logging facility tag to each server. Syslog information can be collected and sorted into different files on the syslog server.

For example:

Assign local1 to NAS1

Assign local2 to NAS2

Assign local3 to NAS3

Assigning a different tag to each device enables you to intelligently sort and view syslog messages:

!

logging facility local7

This info has been taken from:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/univgate/ps509/products_maintenance_guide_chapter09186a008007cb7d.html#1020490

Hope this helps

shahul-hameed
Level 1
Level 1

can anybody plz give me the exact reply for the following

Router(config)#logging facility local6 - what does local6 mean?.plz specify the exact answer with the ref. of cisco link.

Your earlier response will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Shahul

Shahul,

I think 6 in local6 refers to the severity level of Syslog messages. If you set local6, then severity level 6 (information) and more severe (0-6) will be sent as log.

Refer link below for more info

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/contnetw/ps1894/products_tech_note09186a008009452b.shtml

Regards

Habeeb

Hi habeeb,

Thanks for your response.But this is not the answer.

Read my question.It doesn't deal with severity.

I want to know what does local6 mean ?

Router(config)#logging facility local6 - when this is configured in a router what does local6 mean?

Regards,

Shahul

Haven't seen my previous answer ?

Hi Jolmo,

Iam sorry for not responding you as iam back to job only today.Thankyou verymuch for your immediate response.But your answer doesn't suite my question.

I need the answer for what does LOCAL6 mean?

Router(config)#logging facility local6 (local0-7 are availabe) But i need the exact answer for what does local6 mean?Can u plz help me out.

Regards,

Shahul

Hi Shahul

According to documentation, I think local6 means the same as local7 or local0, so you can choose between them as you want (local7 is default).

I've seen some other info regarding UNIX syslog servers. It might help:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080341d18.html#wp1035347

Regards

Hi,

Thanks for your response.But i haven't got the exact answer.Plz try to get me the exact answer.

Anybody plz help me in getting the exact answer.

Regards,

Shahul

Its a label that allows a syslog server to differentiate between log messages and place them into the relevant log files.

So you might have a log on your server for local7 messages, and you might have a log on your server for local6 messages.

On a Unix machine this is configured in /etc/syslog.conf

The following is an extract from my syslog.conf file

local7.emerg;local7.alert;local7.crit;local7.err;local7.warning;local7.notice;lo

cal7.info;local7.debug /var/log/syslog_info

local6.Emergency;local6.Alert;local6.Critical;local6.Error;local6.Warning;local6

.Notice;local6.Info;local6.Debug /var/log/syslog_bluesocket

You can see that local7 messages are being logged to /var/log/syslog_info and local 6 messages sent to /var/log/syslog_bluesocket.

So to answer your question once and for all local6 is telling your router to tag all syslog messages as local6

Rgds

Paddy

hi shahul

In order to allow remote systems such as servers(unix variants) to succcessfully distinguish devices sending syslog messages to them, the logging facility concept was introduced. It uses values such as 0 (for kernel), 1 (for users)etc, to understand the source of its messages ie how the messages were generated. Furthermore it also has reserved values btw 16 and 23 for users to distinguish/classify any other generic device being used to generate and send these syslog messages. hence value 16 to 23 correspond with the local0 to local7 nomenclature. i.e 16=local0, 17=local1 18=local2......22=local6 etc. (Note: the local stands for "Locally Significant" facility names.)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card