cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router crash when starting BGP over a DMVPN network on IOS 15.

cblaney
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Does anybody know if I have come across a bug. I have for many years been running BGP over a dual hub IPSEC DMVPN network, the DMVPN network is a backup to a private WAN provider MPLS network, route selection is made by a shorter AS path on the private MPLS network.

Taking it stage by stage, on a new 1941 router I have configured the tunnel interface, and can ping the other tunnel interfaces of my DMVPN network sites, all is stable, I configure BGP peering with my core switch (route reflector), routes are advertised and all is still stable, I turn on BGP peering to my 2 DMVPN Hub sites and bang, the router is gone in seconds. The sh ver when the system returns is :-

uptime is 13 minutes

System returned to ROM by error - a Software forced crash, PC 0x21CB788C at 17:00:41 UTC Sun Sep 1 2013

System image file is "flash:c1900-universalk9-mz.SPA.152-4.M2.bin"

Last reload type: Normal Reload

Last reload reason: error - a Software forced crash, PC 0x21CB788C

I tried peering with one hub site, is seemed to run for a couple of minutes, I saw this error :-

*Sep  1 16:59:54.575: %SYS-6-STACKLOW: Stack for process TPLUS running low, 4/6000

Then a minute or two later the router crashed again.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Most certainly, this is an IOS defect. It just isn't supposed to crash in a fairly common scenario like yours.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any relevant bug recorded in the bug search tool. Either a similar bug has not yet been logged with Cisco, or it is not made public.

Do you have an option of running a different IOS version, perhaps moving to 15.3M? If the bug appears to persist even with a different IOS version, it will be necessary to contact TAC, as this is something only Cisco software engineering can resolve.

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card