Views
Helpful
Replies

Router for BGP - 2 Providers - Default Routes

express17187
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We run a small datacentre network, about 150 servers between two data centres with a thrid coming online soon. We currenly have our /21 annouced by our upstream's BGP speakers and they route it to two of our Cisco 3825s which we use to subnet our /21 to smaller ranges. Our second site is connected directly to primary site, so if we loose those 3825s or datacentre, both sites go down.

I have been tasked to create a small BGP network and annouce our /21 ourselves. The long term plan is to go with ASRs or 6500-E at our core sites, however our traffic levels are only about 50/60 Mbps with peaks of around 100 Mbps, so I think it is a waste of space, money and power to use them from day one.

So from day one, we are looking at adding a couple of routers per site, and taking two providers at each site with OSPF/iBGP between them. We will only take default routes (although full routes will be nice). It would be nice if we could do MPLS and IPv6 in hardware but not a deal breaker.

Would a 2911 or 3925 be adequate for this job? Any advise would be good.

Cheers.

V

3 Replies 3

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

I would go with an 3925 or a lower end ASR 1000 series, such as 1001. You also have to take into consideration any other services that are going to be in use such as QoS etc.

I see you're only taking default routes from your two providers, but how bis is your OSPF network? Are we talking about a few hundred routes or arond 10k or so?

Thanks for the reply, we will only be using there routers for OSPF, BGP and iBGP (and SNMP). It won't be doing any QoS or anything mildly fancy! The traffic is mainly web and email traffic.

The OSPF network is small, maybe a few hundred routes. This is just a stopgap until we add our 3rd and 4th site and switch over to ASRs/6500s, so we don't want to spend too much on getting this going.

So we can't get away with the 2911/2951?

Express,

Check this out.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Of course, undersatnd that Cisco, uses the smallest possible packet (64 bytes) to use for its metric.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco