cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

router ignoring static route, route table

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I have attached a config, partial route table and a traceroute of a router that seems to be ignoring its routing table. You can see that I have a static route to the 207.186.5.80/28 network via 205.190.170.139. When I run a traceroute the router sends the packet via another router and I don't understand why. It looks like maybe the .139 router is causing this but the .139 router is a simple ADSL router with no routing protocols or static routes installed so I don't think it would/should cause this. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Diego

5 Replies 5

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

I see a crypto map configured on the fastethernet interface which has an interesting traffic in the range you are trying to traceroute.

the packets may be getting to the next peer and then getting forwarded to the destination.

IF you want your traffic to take the static route remove the crypto map from the interface and check

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Oops, my bad. I fixed that ACL and it went fine. Thanks.

Here is another example though. In this case I have the same config only the static route now points to the a router at .244. This router I have no access to so I don't know what the routing setup on it is. However when I point the 207 network to the .244 router I also get a weird traceroute. Can the .244 router be causing this? If so, how?

Thanks,

Diego

Hi Diego,

There is not enough information in the attachment.

Can you post the sh run for the both the routers

HTH

Narayan

My first post contains a full config of my router. Unfortunately the router that I am pointing to is not managed by me and therefore I cannot get any config info for it. All I know is that when I setup a static route pointing to this unmanged router the packets do not route correctly as seen on the traceroutes in the second attachement.

Diego

Hi

A static route could not overridden by any routing protocol unless they give a route with higher mask , in ur case a /29 .But your routing table doesnt have that , so cannot be a route given by other router .

A wild guess , can u check the arp of the next-hop , might be a corrupted arp table might lead you to take a diff path.

After checking , clear the arp and see wheter it solves the problem

regards

vanesh k

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card