Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Not Publishing EIGRP Route

Peter Sheridan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have got a router that is not publishing a route via EIGRP. All other routes get published properly but not one. I think the problem is the fact the router does not have an interface with the IP address it is trying to publish.... Let me explain further.

Router A - has a static route pointing all 10.0.98.0/24 traffic to 10.0.0.231. None of the router interfaces have got an address in the 10.0.98.0/24.

For anyone wondering, 10.0.0.231 is the IP Address of my Primary DC that is acting as a VPN server. I have configured the server to use a address pool of 10.0.98.0/24 for client addresses that dial in.

My question is - Can EIGRP publish routes when it does not have an interface in the IP Range it is trying to publish?

I can get around it by using a static route on the other router but would prefer not to.

5 Replies 5

Peter Sheridan
Level 1
Level 1

As a test I added a loopback interface to the router and assigned it an ip address in the 10.0.98.0/24 range. It successfully got published to the other router so think I have answered my own question.

But is there a way around this? I can use the command 'redistribute static', but that will redistribute all Static routes I believe which is not what I want to do.

I ended up redistributing a route-map using the code below. Not sure if this is the best way to accomplish it, but it worked without having to use static routes.

!
ip prefix-list SSTP-ROUTE seq 5 permit 10.0.98.0/24
!
route-map SSTP-MAP permit 10
 match ip address prefix-list SSTP-ROUTE
!
router eigrp 1
 redistribute static route-map SSTP-MAP

I am glad to see that you have solved your own problem and have answered your own question. I would say that yes this is the best way to do it. It requires one static route be configured and redistributed and when there are multiple static routes but you want only one to be advertised then the route map controlling redistribution is the best way to accomplish this.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Great, thanks for confirming that Richard :)

I am glad that my answer was helpful.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card