cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Serial Number Reporting

tsavage
Level 1
Level 1

A 'show version' reports the main processor pcb serial/identification number. This is different from the chassis serial number displayed on the label/decal. For router series 1845, 3845, 7206VXR is the actual chassis serial number recorded electronically i.e in ROM, and how can it be viewed.

5 Replies 5

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

the command "show diag" will display all the serial nos. of chasis and even all the recognised cards.

Pls rate helpful posts.

Regards

JD

Hi,

As far as the Chasis Serial Number is concerned, the best way to note down the same is using the sh version command as an exmaple given below, where in the Processor Board ID is the chasis Serial Number.

cisco 2651XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x100) with 126976K/4096K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID JAD0712097Z (590572513)

M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2

Channelized E1, Version 1.0.

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

Primary Rate ISDN software, Version 1.1.

2 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

3 Serial network interface(s)

2 Channelized E1/PRI port(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

49152K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

The IOS now includes a command show inventory. The output of this command includes the serial number. Unfortunately my experience with this command is that depending on platform it may or may not return the correct serial number. For example on 1841 routers I have checked and it reliable reports the serial number that I find on the chassis. But for 7200 routers I have yet to have it report the serial number on the chassis. So I would say that depending on the platform show inventory may be a way to finding the serial number.

Unfortunately in my experience the output of show version has not been a reliable way to get the serial number of the chassis either. Perhaps this also is platform dependent. If Samuel can tell us that JAD0712097Z is actually the serial number from the chassis then perhaps it works for 2651. But I have tried this on some other platforms where it did not show the actual serial number from the chassis

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Samuel,

Thanks for the prompt reply, but although this appears to hold true for the 2651XM and as I have recently discovered the 3745, it does NOT appear to be consistent and reliable across all platforms. The 1700, 2500 and 7200, when interegated using the 'show version' provide processor ID's that are different to the serial number, which is printed on the decal/barcode, afixed to the chassis. Any ideas?

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can try with SNMP, please read this article

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/chassis.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card