Views
Helpful
Replies

Router serial number

jitesh1982
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Is there any way , that I can have serial number of router via telnet. As in switch when we give show version it displays a serial number.

Jitesh

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Depends on the model, but try 'show version' or 'show hardware'.

HTH and please rate

The question comes up repeatedly about how to find the chassis serial number of a router. Cisco has introduced a command show inventory and one of the output fields is the chassis serial number. Unfortunately whether this command reports the correct value is platform (or perhaps release) dependent. I have had good success with this command on ISR routers (12.3T and 12.4 code). But I have tried this commad o non-ISR routers and while it cheerfully reports a value, the value does not match the number on the sticker on the chassis.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

router>sh tech

Produces a long output that should contain the serial number in it. This the output you would send to cisco's TAC for analysis in case of problems.

Jitesh,

If your router is an ISR (1800,2800,3800 series) then you can get the chassis details through the following command

"sh inventory"

Eventhough the new 12.4T image supports the above command on old routers like the 2600, i have seen it actually reports the processor ID and not the chassis serial number

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card