cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router traffic mirroring

MaxDemajo
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up the equivalent of a SPAN port on my router but my research has not been fruitful. 

I researched the 'monitor' command, which seemed to be what I was looking for, but the problem is that it doesn't seem possible to mirror data from a port/VLAN directly to another port. As far as I can see this data is only exportable to file like a PCAP, but it is an absolute necessity that the data is mirrored exactly to another port in real-time, in the exact same way a SPAN port would work.

Am I missing something with this function? Is it actually possible to do the above?

1 Accepted Solution
4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure if i understand the requirement here.

you looking X  port Mirror to another Port or VLAN traffic to mirror to other Physiscal port ?

SPAN can do full morror of the traffic with out any further filters or alternative method is network TAP.

you can do alternative to span as per below guide :

https://www.ciscozine.com/switchport-capture-a-good-alternative-to-span-port/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I want to mirror one or multiple physical interfaces out of another single physical interface. Mirroring VLANs out of a single physical interface would also work.

The reason I am not using SPAN is that it is only available on switches and not routers, and I would really rather not have to dish out a couple hundred for a physical TAP.

I will look into the resource you posted, thank you.

My man! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks very much!
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card