cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routers can ping managment IP addresses but cannot ping subinterface

DavidMadera1971
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 routers a 2911 and a CGR2010.  The issue is that the router that has already been in place is able to ping the management IP address of the new router that has been added however it is unable to ping the subinterface of the new router.  The new router is able to ping all interfaces of the router that was already in place.  I've tried to add routes to the network that is on the new router and have EIGRP configured on both routers as well however I cannot get the router that is in place to see the network that resides on the 2911.

4 Replies 4

Beacon Bits
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Several things to check:

First of all, does management interface is it in mgmt vrf?? If yes, then existing router obviosly cannot ping other interfaces because mgmt vrf has its own routing table than the global routing table where all the other interfaces are.

If you check this then hopefully you would have an idea what to do next.

Alternatively, please ask further..!

Happy to look into the configs.

Peace

B

How would I find out if the management interface is in the mgmt vrf?  

Hello

@DavidMadera1971 wrote:

How would I find out if the management interface is in the mgmt vrf?  

Sh ip vrf interface brief

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

In running the sh ip vrf command there are no interfaces configured as vrf.  The management IP is on the loopback address for the router that was already in place.  The management IP address for the new router is a bvi as there are 2 switches that needed to connect to the router on the same subnet.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card