cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

routers' route

dave dave
Level 1
Level 1

hi! i;ve 2x L3 switch (hsrp) connected to one 28xx router(r1), and that router is connected to 2 routers(r2, r3). I plan to run ospf in the 2x L3 switch. Pls provide me with a guideline on how the route shd be for the r1, r2 and r3 routers. Do i need to run ospf in R2 and R3? What's the recommendation?

I've drafted the diagram in the file attached for reference. Pls advise. Thanks.

5 Replies 5

dave dave
Level 1
Level 1

hi! Anyone can assist on this? Thanks.

bill.greenwood
Level 1
Level 1

Without knowing more about the topology it is hard to say,but my recommendation is to run the same routing protocol across the infrastructure unless you have a reason to segment the network. What is the routing protocol currently running on r2 and r3?

Bill

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

hi! For R2, it's a flat network with only 1 vlan/segment, whereas for R3, there are only 2 vlans.

So,

1) Will a default route in R2 sufficient?

2) 2 static route through the R3's internal vlans' GW to reach the internal segment  + 1 static route out of R3 sufficient?

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My recommendation would be to run OSPF in all routers especially if you plan to run it on the switches.

HTH

Rick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH

Rick

hi! What's the reason behind your suggestion of running ospf in all the routers even on the R2 & R3 which internally only running flat network (R2) and 2x vlan (R3)? I would like to understand more. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card