cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ROUTES

mnoote191
Level 1
Level 1

Michael Noote      This is probably a stupid question but when I enter routes into one router using which routing protocol would allow for that route to be sent to all other routers. I am not understanding with this network I have setup in Packet Tracer why I am having to go to each router and enter directly connected routes in all my routers in order for me to communicate with PCs across the network. I would think I would only have to enter routes that are not directly connected and which routing protocol would do this I am trying to use  RIPv 2 but obviously I am doing something wrong or dont understand it at all because I wanted to type all routes in one router have them broadcasted to every other router so I wouldnt have to enter in to each router is this possible

Thanks,

Michael

Michael Noote
2 Replies 2

blau grana
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Michael

It is definitely not working as you think it is.

Network command is used by IGPs to:

- identify interfaces where to send updates (RIP) or where to try to find neighbors (EIGRP, OSPF)

- identify which local networks to advertise to neighbors

At the beginning router can only advertise directly connected networks (interfaces which are up/up) and than after routes exchange with other routers, every other learned routes from routing table.

It does not make any sense to configure every network on one router for entire domain and wait after every other router learn them. Computation of cost and next hop would be very difficult if not impossible.

Best Regards Please rate all helpful posts and close solved questions

Michael Noote Hey thanks I think I answered my own question and also thanks to the help of your response before I was entering every route of every router on all the routers I realized with the rip that all I needed to enter was the directly connected routes of each router on their own router and then every other router learned the rest of the routes dynamically so basically each router just needed to have their own routes advertised where as before I was entering all routes on every router which was wrong

Michael Noote
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card