Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing between 2 LAN doesn't work with specific IP address

Hi, I just get into this subject and I was given an assignment to do on the topic of "Subnetting". During the process, I have found one issue where I can't ping the host on the other LAN with specific IP address. To be specific, when the network address I assign to the subnet on the RHS is 172.16.24.0, I can't ping it from PC22, while the network address for the subnet is 192.168.1.0, it works perfectly fine. Can anyone tell me why is that happening, and is there anyway to make the subnet with 172.16.24.0 network address work? Thank you in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

the issue is that you are using RIP version 1, which only routes classfull networks. In your case, you have networks in the 172.16.0.0/16 range on both sides. RIP version 1 only knows how to route 172.16.0.0/16, and has no knowledge of smaller subnets in that range.

The solution is to add:

router rip

--> version 2

to the configuration of all routers. That way, classless subnets of 172.16.0.0/16 are advertised as well..

You can obviously also use static routing, which would work fine in your topology, since you only have two routers.

Attached the revised, working file.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello,

the issue is that you are using RIP version 1, which only routes classfull networks. In your case, you have networks in the 172.16.0.0/16 range on both sides. RIP version 1 only knows how to route 172.16.0.0/16, and has no knowledge of smaller subnets in that range.

The solution is to add:

router rip

--> version 2

to the configuration of all routers. That way, classless subnets of 172.16.0.0/16 are advertised as well..

You can obviously also use static routing, which would work fine in your topology, since you only have two routers.

Attached the revised, working file.

OMG thank you so much

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card