Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing between 3945 + Integrated switch module

naive.naive
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I've a 3945 with SM-ES3G-24-P module installed and tried to configure some routing but it doesnt work..

1. L3 interface on the switch modules (with ip address configured)

2. OPSF on the router with connected interface redistribute (which includes the switch module L3 interfaces)

I dont see any of the switch module L3 interfaces routes in the router, not even the connected interface..

Anything i did wrong ??

SM

-----

int g0/1

no switchport

ip add 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

Router

---------

int g0/0

ip add 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.0

router ospf 1

redistribute connected

network 2.2.2.2 0.0.0.0 area 0

Thanks..

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

From the router can you ping the switch or vice versa?

Nope, i cant ping to the switch (one of the L3 interface), in this case G0/1 (1.1.1.1)

Ok, so you have a layer-3 interface on the switch with an IP of 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0.You also need to have the same subnet with a different host address on the router example 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.0  what interface on the router is the same subnet as the switch?  Can you provide "sh ip int bri" from the router and the switch?

HTH

Erm, means i need to have a physical interface on the router with the same subnet of the switch module interface ? Or it can be subinterface ? and if can be subinterface, which physical interface should i use ? Is there any doco on this ?

I cant really create an IP for the same subnet in the router interface, as the L3 interface subnet is /30, which is being used already.. and we cant really change the subnet at this moment..im trying to find a way for the routing to work via the backplane between the switch n router, but couldnt find anything...if we have to create another IP in the router for each L3 interface in the switch module, it will be wasting one IP address for each subnet..and some of the L3 interface on the switch module, we are using /30 and obviously, no additional ip add available.

will be good if there's a way to router via the backplane (G0/25 & G0/26 on the switch module) to the router..

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card