cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing between vrf and directly connected non vrf interface

alanholmes
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 7200 acting as a PE router and I have a CE router connected to that via 2 - T1 lines in a ppp multilink bundle.

The multilink is in a vrf and I need some traffic source from the client CE LAN to route to servers that are directly

connected to a non vrf ethernet interface on the same 7200. I have tried static routes in the vrf but the next hop

IP needs to be the loopback on the same PE router and of course you can enter a static route with a next hop

on the same router.

I have seen a few posts on this and the solutions are less than elegant. Basically they are either, add two more ethernet

ports in teh 7200, put one in the vrf and the other outside the vrf and cross connect them with an ethernet cable (ugly),

bounce the packets off another connected router and back to the PE outside the vrf, or build a tunnel with both

ends on the PE, again with one in the vrf and one outside the vrf.

All of these solutions are less than elegant and I consider them a bit "hackish".

I'm wondering if there is a more elegant way of accomplishing this. I thought about a static without

a next hop IP and only the proper exiting interface but I think there is going to be an ARP issue with that.

I currently do not have access to a network that I can test this theory so Im hoping some vrf-litr guru out there

can confirm if this will work and if not, what is the proper way of accomplishing this.

TIA,

Alan

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Alan,

the elegant way may be called route leaking between VRF and global routing table

see

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/paws/47807/routeleaking.pdf

thanks to Syed Fazullah

and

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3229750#3229750

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: