Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Design between two locations

cfinn0327
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am currently working to design a network topology to connect two structures wirelessly using wireless Ethernet radios and need a bit of help and guidance. I’m fairly new to design, but have some experience configuring switches and routers from the CLI.

The general design is included in the attachment below, but basically we’ll have two /24 networks connected via two Cisco ASA 5510 firewalls. The network ID for Location A is 172.17.1.0/24 and the network ID for Location B is 172.17.2.0/24 The firewalls will serve as the gateway devices for both networks, and the Ethernet radios will connect directly to the firewalls. Devices in Location A will need to communicate via with devices in Location b, and vice versa.

Since the radios will be directly connected to the firewalls, I THINK I’ll need to assign local IP addresses to the interfaces that the radios connect to. So, the interface on the ASAs for the radios will be assigned .2 addresses from their respective networks. Each radio will also need an IP address from their respective networks, so I’m thinking I’ll assign .3 to each radio.

From there, it gets a little fuzzy…I’ll want to enable some type of dynamic routing protocol (I’m thinking OSPFv3), but I’m not sure exactly how to set that up on the ASAs. Also, I’m not sure if I should use something else besides OSPF.

Can someone review this design and let me know if it makes sense? Is there anything you would change, or do differently? Is there any documentation I can follow to enable the appropriate dynamic routing protocol on the ASAs so that the routing will work between the networks?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 Replies 2

Gregory Snipes
Level 4
Level 4

Why do you want to use a dynamic routing protocol? This design would work great with just a couple of static routes pointing the networks across. You could get this working with two or three routes tops.

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

Gregory is correct that you don't need a routing protocol to connect two sites. In addition the design will not work because you have the same subnet on two interfaces for each Asa. You'll need a different subnet for the external interface than for the internal. Consider a /30 subnet between the two external interfaces, such as 192.1.1.1-2/30 for the external interfaces on the Asa's.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card