Helpful
Replies

Routing failed to locate next hop for ICMP from outside:8.8.8.8/0 to

Denniz2100
Level 1
Level 1

Good day all.

My network setup.

WiFi Device > APs > PoE Switch > WLC(2504) > Core(3750) > ASA(PAT/NAT) > Internet 

We have a wireless setup where users connects to our staff WiFi network and they authenticate via Microsoft RADIUS server(PEAP). Recently we started having issues, when we connect to staff WiFi it connects but shows "No internet, Secured", while it is connected we can access local resources(RDP, http/s etc.) but not the internet. When we connect an ethernet cable while the WiFi is connected on the same machine, the "No internet, Secured" status changes to Connected but when i remove the cable, it goes back to "No internet, Secured". I did some traces from our ASA and i see: Routing failed to locate next hop for ICMP from outside:8.8.8.8/0 to inside:172.31.40.85/1. We have PAT which we use to access internet and other NAT statements for other services. i checked our RADIUS server and WLC logs and i don't see any errors, i could be wrong. It seems like the traffic can go out, but no route back, i could be wrong.

When i run wireshark captures there no return traffic "no response"

Note: Wired network works well without issues, it's only the staff WiFi which gives issues even though it uses the same internet link as the the wired staff net. 

16 Replies 16

It seems to affect the returning traffic into the outside interface because Wireshark shows traffic going out, but no response. It affects all traffic types not just ICMP. I ran the commands but still get the same error.

Denniz2100
Level 1
Level 1

Problem solved, i added a route to 172.31.40.0/24 wifi subnet, not sure when it was removed, i somehow overlooked this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: