Level 1

Hello!

Hope you are doing great.

I have a scenario.

I have proxy server on cloud: 202.32.45.264

Router Public IP Address: XX.XX.XX.XX

Router Next Hop (Gateway): ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.ZZZ

Router LAN IP Address: LL.LLL.LLL.LL

I want to route all traffic from router to the proxy server IP address i.e. 202.32.45.264

I have following static routes configured on the router. Can someone please check if I am configuring it right?

ip route 202.32.45.264 255.255.255.255 ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.ZZZ (I am defining static route to the proxy server via next hop)

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 202.32.45.264 (Now I am defining default route to proxy server)

Need suggestion Guys. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As others have commented, your routing logic is ok - as far as it goes. But it will not accomplish what you want. If we look at what is happening from the routing perspective it would go something like this:

- some PC in your network wants to access some server in the internet, let us say its Public IP address is P.P.P.P. So the PC builds an IP packet with the PC address as the source and P.P.P.P as the destination. The PC sends the IP packet to its gateway, which is your router.

- your router looks at the destination address (P.P.P.P) and determines that the next hop is its gateway of ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.ZZZ. The router also determines that sending the packet to its gateway needs to do address translation. So it translates the source address from the PC address to your router Public IP. Your router then forwards the packet to its gateway.

- the provider router (at ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.ZZZ) looks at the destination address (P.P.P.P) and makes its own forwarding decision, which will not be to forward the packet to your proxy server.

It looks to me like to effectively use that proxy server you either need some agent inside your network that will examine the traffic and alter the destination address to be the proxy address, or you need some type of processing that will effectively tunnel that traffic from your router to your proxy server.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do we need to the high-level diagram of how you connected to this Proxy server (in the cloud)?

I have previously deployed like Symantec have Cloud proxy, but they have Local Agent Server in the network, which redirect the traffic to cloud and analysis and process.

This require bit design and routing.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Proxy server Shadow-socks will be on the cloud.

Client PC >>>>>> Switch >>>>>>>> Router>>>>>>>>>>>Shadow-socks Server on Cloud

I think I am missing something here.

Internet was working fine with the configurations that I have posted before. But the Client PC is not showing its Public IP as IP address of ShadowSocks Server. Client PC is showing router public interface ip address as it's external IP address.

As others have commented, your routing logic is ok - as far as it goes. But it will not accomplish what you want. If we look at what is happening from the routing perspective it would go something like this:

- some PC in your network wants to access some server in the internet, let us say its Public IP address is P.P.P.P. So the PC builds an IP packet with the PC address as the source and P.P.P.P as the destination. The PC sends the IP packet to its gateway, which is your router.

- your router looks at the destination address (P.P.P.P) and determines that the next hop is its gateway of ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.ZZZ. The router also determines that sending the packet to its gateway needs to do address translation. So it translates the source address from the PC address to your router Public IP. Your router then forwards the packet to its gateway.

- the provider router (at ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.ZZZ) looks at the destination address (P.P.P.P) and makes its own forwarding decision, which will not be to forward the packet to your proxy server.

It looks to me like to effectively use that proxy server you either need some agent inside your network that will examine the traffic and alter the destination address to be the proxy address, or you need some type of processing that will effectively tunnel that traffic from your router to your proxy server.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I am glad that my explanation has been helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hallo,

I just labbed this up in GNS3, and your routing seems to work fine. That said, wouldn't it be a better idea to set the proxy server in the client browsers ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card