cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing issue

Ihsan Al Faili
Level 1
Level 1

I have the following network working with eigrp protocol, and all my traffic goes through R1 to reach the loopback 0 (120.0.0.1) as I inserted static route in R1 ( IP route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 12.0.0.2) as I redistribute the static route through EIGRP.

I want to change the route through R9, only when loopback0 goes down . So all traffic will be able to reach loopback1 instead of loopback0 as long as 120.0.0.1 unreachable, and back to loopback0 when it's come on again.

Appreciated your help in advance 

6 Replies 6

Hello,

on R1, configure a floating static with an AD of 200, and redistribute that into EIGRP as well.

Hey,

I configured route-map to give the priority through R1, and I did as you said by configure static route with an AD of 200, but it didn't work because on R1 what will be your next hop? I used the interface,and din't work.

any idea?

Actually, I am just wondering why you need static routes at all.If you advertise both interfaces on R1 in EIGRP, once the link to R8 goes down, everything will be routed through the other link to R2 anyway. R9 is 4 hops away, so you won't be able to configure a static route to there.

OK, let me explain more for you. R8 & R6 both represent the internet, and this is the reason why I used the static routes (default route). This network connected to internet through R1 and R9.

I want to give the priority for traffic to go through R1, if the internet there goes down then all traffic should go through R9.

Hello,

it might be a better option to work with the delay or administrative distance EIGRP parameters on the edge routers to influence the path selection. I am going to lab this in GNS, I will get back with you...

Thank you a lot. I attached a copy of my GNS3, and hope it will make it easier for you.

I'm working with another solution by using route map on remote router (R9), and I will let you know if I will get to answer.

Appreciated your help 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card