Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing issues

Hi Guys

Looking for some advice.

I have a network with multiple cameras, access controllers etc all IP based.

It ranges from 192.168.x.x and 10.168.x.x. and my monitoring PC`s that checks the cameras etc is on 192.168.0.x

It goes through various switches througout the building and ends up in the server room.

I just got a brand new Cisco 9300 Layer 3 switch and need help.

As i dont know which cable exactly connects to which camera or device i need to setup the switch if possible so that i can just plug in all the cables into any ports. How do i route the different IPs,Subnets so that my PC connected to the switch can be able to access these devices. basically routing it all to the default vlan that is 192.168.0.1

I realize its not ideal setup but currently my old Core switch packed up

21 Replies 21

Hello

@johannesmoolman7574 wrote:

Hi Guys

Looking for some advice.

I have a network with multiple cameras, access controllers etc all IP based.

It ranges from 192.168.x.x and 10.168.x.x. and my monitoring PC`s that checks the cameras etc is on 192.168.0.x

It goes through various switches througout the building and ends up in the server room.

I just got a brand new Cisco 9300 Layer 3 switch and need help.

As i dont know which cable exactly connects to which camera or device i need to setup the switch if possible so that i can just plug in all the cables into any ports. How do i route the different IPs,Subnets so that my PC connected to the switch can be able to access these devices. basically routing it all to the default vlan that is 192.168.0.1

I realize its not ideal setup but currently my old Core switch packed up

As you saying your OLD core switch is not working, And this switch is to repalce that old core of do you just want to introduce this new switch to extend your patching capabilities in the server room?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Yes but later on i would like to actually use the new 9300 with all its security etc capabilities but for now i just need to replace plug all the lan cables back and be able to monitor my CCTV etc.

ive tried using vlans and inter vlan routing but as i said it wont work as i dont know which cable is on which ip as there is quite a few cables 

Hello

First thing first, do you have any core routing at present, how are your users currenty working?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Currently my system is down as the core was the main switch in the control room. So it is basically a setup from scratch

Hello

So do you have any backup of your old core switch configuration and/or any details on what routing/ services it was providing?

Kind Regards
Paul

Nope, none all i have is the IP and to be honest i dont think the configuration on that switch was proper as i still needed to add all the Subnets,and IPs on my workstations to access the multiple ranges. and with my limited knowledge i really actually hope my 2 x new 9300 can as it costs a pretty penny

Hello

Well you need the detail on your previous routing that old core was doing otherwise you have to start from scratch.

You should be able to obtain the vlans at least from the other switches vtp database

Show vlan brief

As for the routing, I assume you have/had a dhcp server, if it wasn’t running on your core switch then you could look at that and it should provide you with the dhcp scopes/ip ranges for each routing subnet.

Once you have these details then you should be able to bring up a simple working core very quickly

Kind Regards
Paul

I am running all static Ips and i have all the IPS and ranges it is documented for example i know i have 10.168.1.x -- 10.168.2.x and so on and 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x.

i have no issue in starting from scratch as it will be a nice learning curve aswell. just my initial attempts using vlans dont serve my purpose as i need to know then where each and every cable comes from and know each and every range running.

Well, this will spent many time if you dont know about your network.

To get camera connectivy again.

1. Take a look in your server or a camera, check it ip address.
2. Create a vlan with the same network + mask.
3. ping on broadcast of this address, exemple: ip server/camera 192.168.1.10/24, you will ping on 192.168.1.255 to get all address avaiable on this network
4. Make a arp map to get all which mac is learned for each interface.

do it for each service that you want to know what network were used until you shift the devices.
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Thanks for your reply

I have around 32 cisco L2 switches around the building with about 24 fibers connecting between them running back to the server room. so on one Cisco L2 switch there are cameras on different ranges 10.x.x.x. and 192.x.x.x and that gets fed back to the server room into a Fiber to copper converters and from there onto the switch so am i wrong then to think that one interface IE.. port 1 will show multiple arp entries.

i am just looking to route/channel any traffic coming in to the switch to the default vlan that then connects to my Monitors

Hope it helps

are you looking for a method to establish connection on this network 10.x.x.x and 192.x.x.x from your pc?
Jaderson Pessoa

Yes , currently i have set up a little lab excersice before going live.

i have my pc 192.168.0.3 the switch default vlan 1 on 192.168.0.1 two cameras 10.168.10.5 and 192.168.5.5 to test a couple of things.

so i have suceeded in setting it up so i can ping from my pc both cameras but that was by using vlan routing.

AS per that method i needed to assign the port the camera is on to the specific vlan. so looking for a way i dont have to assign a specific port to a vlan basically just plug in all patch leads and send it onto vlan 1

Well, let me check if i understood your doubot;

You have a your pc connected under a port in your switch configured in default vlan 1. Which mask address and gateway are you using?
You have two cameras that had the same characteristics in default vlan 1, right? Which mask address and gateway are you using?

you told me that you need setting a correct vlan under port that is connected to the cameras, what vlan you want configure?
Jaderson Pessoa

PC connected on port 1 vlan 1 - 192.168.0.3 / 255.255.255.0 default gateway is 192.168.0.1 /255.255.255.0 the gateway is the switch

camera 1 connected to port 10 Ip address 10.168.10.5 /255.255.255.0

Camera 2 connected to port 11 Ip address 192.168.5.5 / 255.255.255.0

camera one is on vlan 3 currently 10.168.10.1 /255.255.255.0

camera two is on vlan 4 currently 192.168.5.1 / 255.255.255.0

with this setup i can ping both from my pc and direct from the switch

so the endgame if possible

take the switch to server room. plug in my 4 pc`s that monitor the cameras into port 1 -4 plug all other cables from CCTV into the rest any random order. 

and lastly do a proper redesign of this mess i call a network :(

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card