Views
Helpful
Replies

routing problem, noob

rick_serafin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

i am very new to Cisco products and am I having a bit of trouble with the router we have here (2621xm). So my problem is that I cant seem to ping or tracert from one network to another, for example i have fa 0/0 ip add 192.168.4.1 & fa 0/1 ip add 192.168.3.1. Now I can ping all the pc´s from fa 0/1 that have that 3 network and the same applies to fa 0/0 for 4 network and fa 0/0 and 0/1 can ping each other but i am not able to ping for example 192.168.3.20(client) to 192.168.4.100(snmp server) or vice versa. so any and all help would be much apreciated to solve this problem.

btw this is a project I was asked to do because I am an apprentice and now I have some months of practical training ahead of me and will be using this and a Cisco switch for a project that will be graded as the practical part of my end exam for this apprenticeship.

thank you for your help

Rick Serafin

6 Replies 6

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rick,

A nice Packet Tracer snapshot you have

What I lack is a clear and concise description of the IP addressing and the interface descriptions in your exhibit. What surprises me, for example, is that on the upper interface of the lower 2621XM router you have servers from both 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.4.0/24 network - a bad design if they are both placed on a single (V)LAN. Moreover, I do not know what is the IP network used to interconnect the two routers and what is the network on the upper 2621XM router towards the cloud.

If you are modelling this in PT you could post the PT file here. Please note, however, that I am not going to solve it completely for you because if this is a part of your training, you should be capable of doing it all by yourself. I am going to give you some hints, though.

Best regards,

Peter

Thank you for the quick reply Peter,

their were some type o´s on the diagram which I have changed. I am uploading pt file in hopes that it will better explain my question. the upper router is just a gateway to the internet. Everything below the lower router is in 192.168.3.0 network and everything else is on the 192.168.4.0 network except for the 10.x.x.x that is just a fictional isp address given by the provider. all the passwords are cisco and if that does not work cisco1

again thank you for your help

Rick

Hi Rick,

As I promised, I won't tell you exactly how to correct your configuration but I will tell you where to look for things to correct.

There are following configuration mistakes in the PKT file:

1. The PC 192.168.3.20 is using an incorrect default gateway IP address.
  2. The Router1 (the one in the middle) is not correctly configured with the default route. Although it does contain the ip default-network statement, it is used improperly. I personally strongly discourage using this command, and I suggest using the usual ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 command instead.
  3. The Router0 does not know about the network 192.168.3.0/24.
  4. The switch has sticky learning activated on all his ports, however, the port security itself is not activated, therefore the sticky learning is also inactive.

I have a question: are you also a Networking Academy student? If yes then I suggest moving this discussion to the Forums & Chat facility at the Networking Academy Connection because it would be perhaps more suited there. If not then don't worry, we'll deal with these issues here on NetPro.

Best regards,

Peter

my status is hard to explain unless you are fluent in German. Basically I am going to a private school that trains people to be network admins, the course is two years long and only one year of this is book training, the rest is six months practical training and preperation for the final exam which includes this project that I am working on (firewall with proxy, IDS/IPS and logging of traffic). using the Cisco products is just a small part of it, but something I have to learn in order to complete the given task. In school we have covered several topics including servers(microsoft and linux) exchange, php,mysql,apache just to name a bit of what we have touched on.

thanks for your help and I will post when I have fixed all the mistakes I have made.

Rick

vinod.agrahari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rick,

Please check the routing and use dynamic routing for both the vlan and and if you have two different router so please check the default gateway of your router.

Please share your configuration for this router to check and provide you the effective solution.

Regards

Vinod Agrahari

Thanks for the help, I have fixed my problem. It is truely amazing how much chaos something so small could create. thank you again

Rick Serafin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco