cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Question

vohst
Level 1
Level 1

I am in a small town with fairly unreliable internet.  I own my business and my house is only 1 mile away with pretty good line of sight so I got these Ubiquiti wireless ethernet bridges between them.  At home, I have ISP A with a Cisco 5505 running DHCP on the 172.16.100.0/24 subnet.  At the office, I have a Cisco 5520 connecting to ISP B and a Windows 2008 Server running DHCP and DNS on 172.16.100/24.  Both routers are running a static route to the ISP and EIGRP with static redistribution.  I have a Cisco 3750 PoE L3 switch at the office and it is running EIGRP (I had a couple devices that were hard coded to 192.168.1.x so I had to have a VLAN and route between them).  All devices's default gateway at the office point to the 3750.

5505 - 172.16.100.3

5520 - 172.16.100.4

3750 - 172.16.100.1

Windows Server - 172.16.100.200

I would like to have the 5505 hand out a range of IP addresses at home that the default gateway is to the 5505.  The Windows Server hands out a range of IP's that is the 5520.  The problem is that even though the 5505 is running DHCP, a PC requesting an address at home gets an address from the Windows Server at the office and thus its default gateway has to cross the wireless ethernet bridge which is the slow link.  Then my kid's video streaming starts to eat bandwidth at the office and I end up having a bottleneck there and an ISP at home that isn't getting used.  I don't care who hands out addresses but without re-addressing my home or enabling routing on the wireless bridges, is there a way to force a DHCP server to hand out addresses based on its locale?  Or something?  Or any other ideas?

4 Replies 4

Hello,

I have not tried this but you can filter based on the mac address on windows 2008 DHCP. Take a look at the link below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759190(v=ws.11).aspx

Masoud

Thanks for the reply Masoud, I think I have it figured out.  Even though the wireless Ethernet are in bridge mode, I can enable the firewall on each and block ports 67 and 68 on the LAN ports on each side so that either side will not pass on DHCP.  I didn't think I could filter IP, UDP, TCP or ICMP in bridge mode but after reading the manual and doing a little testing, it does work.  Thanks.

Glad you found your solution.

Masoud

And I thought of that too.  But if I would take my iPhone home and have the DHCP blocked the server at the office, then it would block it when I was at the office.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card