Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Windows Network Browser/Network Neighbor

Scott2010
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guy's.

I need to route windows Network Browser/Network Neighborhood from one network segment to another, I'm using a cisco 2801 router with IOS 15.2.

I have tried everything I can think of, UDP forwarding, Multicast routing with PIM, IP Broadcast forwarding, etc. I can't get it to work. I really, really could use some help on this, my gut feeling is there is a way, I'm just not seeing it. I don't expect step by step instructions unless your so inclined, if you could point me to the appropriate documentation configuration examples that would be a good start.

I even put a windows server on each segment in case I needed a domain master browser and it still didn't work.

Please Help!

4 Replies 4

kubn2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I don't think I follow, if you want to have one subnet let say 192.168.0.0/24 to be able to reach another subnet 192.168.1.0/24 then you should use routing either static or ospf, eigrp whatever suits you. If you just want to route only one particular PC or one particular application to other network segment you can use policy based routing. But like I said first please describe it in more detail what do you want to achieve.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would be interested in what you have tried so far with UDP forwarding. Were you forwarding UDP 137 and 138?

Perhaps you might find helpful information in this article and the RFCs which it references

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetBIOS_over_TCP/IP

HTH

Rick

Hello

"I need to route windows Network Browser/Network Neighborhood from one network segment to another"

Like @kubn2  I don't understand what your trying to achieve here, can you elaborate please?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Oh, my, I haven't had to deal with Windows neighborhood browsing issues since NetBIOS/NetBEUI days.  I thought (?) Microsoft pretty much had gotten this to work, fairly well, with IP starting when they started using port 449 and SMB/TCP.  Although I recall (???), some of this might have been tied to Window's servers providing DHCP leases.

What Windows OS, including revision level, is being used (on servers and hosts)?

Again, I'm really dated on this, but it's something you might do better by searching Microsoft's site.  For example, this question, for Windows 10, posted here: Windows 10 does not see computers in Network Neighborhood 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card