Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing with eBGP and EIGRP

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hello everyone,

I have a routing scenario with eBGP and EIGRP. I have an SDWAN appliance and a Cisco 4451 router both learn the same routes from the WAN with the SDWAN appliance connects to the Nexus 9k and exchange route via eBGP and the Cisco router connects to the Nexus 9K and exchange route via EIGRP. All is working as expected as I prefer the SDWAN appliance to be the prefer path to the WAN. The scenario I am running into is when one of the 2 links between the SDWAN appliance and the Nexus 9k fails I see some traffic destined to the WAN get routed to the SDWAN appliance and some get routed to the Cisco router. How can I adjust my routing topology so that my SDWAN appliance will always be the prefer path to the WAN in this scenario ? please see the topology diagram below.

dtran_0-1673298895858.png

Thanks all in advance !!! I appreciate any inputs / suggestions !!

Danny

2 Replies 2

f-baker
Level 4
Level 4

The question would be what routing is running between the 93180s. If you are running both eigrp and BGP on them with no redistribution then when an EBGP link goes down to say CFX-1 then it has EIGRP routes from the 4451 and IBGP from CFX-2 so any traffic that is headed to the wan from CFX-1  would take the EIGRP path. It begs the question why are you doing multiple routing protcols if it was me I would use BGP for both and use say BGP local preference to send traffic to the SDWAN appliance if it is up 

Hi f-baker, thanks for your help !!

I am running EIGRP between Nexus 9Ks and redistributing BGP into EIGRP.

I agree with you ..why run multiple routing protocols ?? this is temporary .. I will eventually consolidate down the road.

Danny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: