cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing with Layer 3 Switch

Zach1234
Level 1
Level 1

In this diagram I'm told to set up 10.10.0.1/16 on interface vlan 1 and ping all other hosts with different network addresses. I have ip routing enabled and when I create a static route or dynamic route they don't show up in the table but I don't get any errors. They show up in the show run command. I'm confused on how to configure the Cisco switch to be able to route a packet from from host 10.10.10.35 to all these other subnets.

6 Replies 6

Martin L
VIP
VIP

I think we need more info but if you want to see routing table on L3 switch, turn on IP routing as some switches have it off by default. Command is ip routing.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

your diagram missing here, post both the device configuration.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Zach1234
Level 1
Level 1

In this diagram I'm told to set up 10.10.0.1/16 on interface vlan 1 and ping all other hosts with different network addresses. I have ip routing enabled and when I create a static route or dynamic route they don't show up in the table but I don't get any errors. They show up in the show run command. I'm confused on how to configure the Cisco switch to be able to route a packet from from host 10.10.10.35 to all these other subnets.

EDIT - the topic is merged now.

can you post-show IP route (along with config)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

as asked before by the other contributors, post the running configuration (sh run) of the switch...

In addition to the output of show run it would be helpful to have the output of show ip interface brief and of show ip route. There are several reasons why a configured route does not show up in the routing table. Among them are:

- the outbound interface for the route is not in the up/up state

- the next hop specified in the route is not reachable (does not appear in the routing table)

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card