Views
Helpful
Replies

RPS2300 with 2900 routers

jmguillemot
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I want to connect a RPS2300 to a Cisco 2911 router to provide power backup.

I have two questions :

1 - Easy one : if the 2911 PSU (internal Power Supply Unit) fails, can anyone confirm me the RPS2300 provides power to the 2911 with no reboot of the 2911 ?

2 - Tricky one : After we replace the broken PSU, will the 2911 reboot or not as power revert from RPS2300 to internal PSU ?

Hope I'm clear enough !

Thanks,

JM

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

no, I was actually checking this document:

http://connections.cisco.com/clearspace_community/docs/DOC-13363#Q_What_management_features_are_available_on_the_RPS_2300

It does list ISR g2 as supported but advises that advanced features are only for E-series switches. I have also done internal mailers check and a few times it was mentioned autop backoff is not supported on ISR G2, meaning it will continues to draw power from RPS till RPS fails.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

1. Yes, failover to RPS is seamless. It automatically senses if an internal power  supply of a connected device fails and immediately supplies power to the  failed device. The device then has continuous uptime with no need to  reboot.

2. Automatic backoff is supproted only for Catalyst 3750-E and 3560-E switches. When the internal power supply of the connected switch resumes  operation, the switch sends a back-off command to the RPS 2300, which  seamlessly backs off.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Hello Ivan,

thanks for your answer.

I assume you quote this document "

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/power_supplies/rps2300/hardware/installation/guide/rpsoview.html#wp1053738".

Any (technical) document about RPS2300 was published before ISR G2 was launched. Therefore, I want to be sure of this behavior.

Do you confirm that automatic backoff is not supported for 2900 series ?

Thanks again,

JM

Hi,

no, I was actually checking this document:

http://connections.cisco.com/clearspace_community/docs/DOC-13363#Q_What_management_features_are_available_on_the_RPS_2300

It does list ISR g2 as supported but advises that advanced features are only for E-series switches. I have also done internal mailers check and a few times it was mentioned autop backoff is not supported on ISR G2, meaning it will continues to draw power from RPS till RPS fails.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Hello Ivan,

I do thank you for your help.

Have a nice day.

JM

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card