Views
Helpful
Replies

RSVP configuration for video streaming

CiscoMan242
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to implement RSVP into this network (Image below to help understand) however i have no previous experience with RSVP and have never configured it before. 

I would like to configure RSVP to benefit video streaming on the network

Serial Interfaces used to connect R1, R2 and R3

NAT has been configured on the network for internet.

Windows clients used for streaming

Please could someone show me what an example RSVP configuration would be in a network scenario like this?

regards,

Harvey

1 Reply 1

Hi,

I believe this scenario fits better for MQC QoS. You can tag voice traffic with DSCP EF (if not already) and put that traffic in the priority queue on the interface.

Your Routers will prioritize this voice traffic. The Internet will not.

I've seen MPLS core deployments (mainly in ISPs) using RSVP with Traffic Engineering Tunnels.

About RSVP on the Enterprise side (no MPLS) personally, I doubt there are deployments in the field out there with no MPLS cores.

Similarly, if you happen to deploy RSVP in your Routers, I don't think your ADSL/Internet line will do any reservation.

To enable RSVP, the interfaces need the command ip rsvp bandwidth.

Check the next outputs (prior and after configuring the command).

Router#show ip rsvp interface
Router#show ip rsvp installed
Router#show ip rsvp reservation
Router#show ip rsvp neighbor

Perhaps your application needs to signal the reservation by itself once you enable RSPV on the interfaces (I'm not quite sure).

HTH.

Reverences:

- Chapter: Configuring RSVP

- RSVP 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card