cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

secondary IP block

Joli Martinez
Level 1
Level 1

I have a DSL with 6 public IP addresses.  I laready confirmed that the ISP can send the entire block to my cisco 871 router.  I would like to distribute those IP's only to certain devices and certain devices have LAN IP's how can I have the 871 respond to two IP blocks and route correctly. 

this is my setup

DSL->871->2960(LAN)

Public IP comes into the 871 as a /29

Lan is a /24

871 is DHCP                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John has correctly identified one of the options, which is to assign the second address block as a secondary address on the router interface. Another option which you should consider is to use the address block to configure a pool of addresses for address translation. If you configure static address translation for some of the devices inside your network then these devices become accessible from the public Internet as well as being able to send traffic out to the public Internet using a public IP address as the source address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Joli,

You can do this by assigning a secondary LAN IP address on the 871 for the /29 subnet and route all traffic using a static default route to ISP next hop IP or exit interface.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

John has correctly identified one of the options, which is to assign the second address block as a secondary address on the router interface. Another option which you should consider is to use the address block to configure a pool of addresses for address translation. If you configure static address translation for some of the devices inside your network then these devices become accessible from the public Internet as well as being able to send traffic out to the public Internet using a public IP address as the source address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Joli Martinez
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, I was able to add the second IP using the secondary command and did some static nat.

again,

thx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card